Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Zydeco accordion

Dan, did you once have a Roland FR-18 Diatonic Triple-Row (Red)? If so, I think I bought yours on EBay a year ago. Very challenging, but lovin' it more & more - especially now that I'm finally getting more & more realistic Zydeco sounds/tone out of it.

I like my Roland FR-18.

I've been gigging with it as my primary triple row for a couple years now. Lot's of good things about them.

Yes I did.
I would never get used to the buttons on the Roland.
I play hohner corona iiir live and a compadre with an external mic. I like the two reed box because I'd play some Calypso stuff on it.
Son of

Yeah, the buttons on the Roland are not the best. I've gotten used to them, but I would prefer something else. The main thing I don't like about them is that the edges are not rounded off, but have a somewhat sharp edge. It makes it harder to slide your fingers across the buttons smoothly and quickly, in the way that I am used to on other accordions.

Someday, I think I will fix that by buying some "normal" buttons and drilling a threaded hole in the center so that they can screw on the way the Roland buttons do.

John Doucet has some aluminum buttons that might work.

It's disappointing Roland didn't spec it exactly the same as an acoustic set up, the sounds were phenomenal, I struggled with the air intake and the buttons.
To deal with feedback issues,
I ended up having a mic made by a guy in Canada who worked for Shure for 30 years, it's external and I use it in a band where I play country) Americana.
I'll post photos if anyone's interested.
Dan

Hi Dan,

I'm interested in photos.. please post them.

Thanks

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!