Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tuning one-row Hohner

Orville,

That is known as "difference" tuning and does in fact give the impression of a louder, fuller sound.
Two single reeds in unison sound lifeless and not necessarily louder or more distinct.

And 1 -2 cents apart is not discernible by most human ears.. in other words you really can't put your finger on it but it's there.

Good call.

Orville,
Thanks for your reply.

Tuning the A flat turned out really fine om my Hohner 1040, as long as I play in the key of C. But as you can see on my second chart the A this time will be +4 cent, as I plan to play mostly in G, and I think it will work fine. I consider to make the F +15 as you wrote. It gives a nice slightly sharpened lowered 7th in G. (I now see I used the wrong term "minor 7th" in my first post).

As for the wetness, I plan to make it 5 cent by the middle C. I believe that these industrially produced Hohner reeds don't really sound so good tuned dry as for example the handmade Italian reeds do.

Regards,
Jonas

Christian,
Thanks for your reply.
Yes I'll play Cajun music, but tuning a one-row accordion in just 3rds and 5ths (and sometimes high 4ths) is suitable for any kind of music IMO, as long as you don't play along with other 12TET tuned instruments. My question was specifically about the tuning of A and F.

I just checked Lepistö out, seems to be a great musician, thanks for the tip.

Regards,
Jonas

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!