Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bullet proof discussion board

As a result... my earthlink account attached to this site is corrupted and I am bombarded with spam and viruses.

I have switched my e mail account ( which I have had for 21 years) to another address which I will not post here.

I still receive e mail on my corrupted site and do answer by forwarding to my new address.

I have been ******** about this for at least 2 years.

Close the site and re open somewhere else without any connections to this corrupted den.

I have no idea how this drug garbage gets on this site, but we need to have a way to delete it immediately after it's posted. If it were deleted immediately then maybe these morons would give up posting it. Big Nick where are you?

Would it be an option to abandon the ship and create a new forum somewhere else?
Something like the melodeon.net forum or something like that.

The present forum, as I see it, isn't very convenient
- the aesthetics of the are very old school
- the board / thread option is nonsense (took me a while to figure that one out and have the messages grouped)
- typing a code for every single posting is an annoyance
- members can't be contacted through PMs
- since there's no registration, some ppl can switch nicknames, troll around and contribute to a nasty atmosphere
- the spam attacks are the "icing on the cake"

Perhaps a new forum would also be more inviting for newcomers?

OB

Glad you said it..
as a non Cajun, I thought if I posted that I'd get ripped.

Melodeon net is the best of the accordion discussion groups and one of the best discussion groups.

No spam, no trolls, no bull ****...

Several categories
easy to navigate
Buy/Sell
Technical stuff
Makes and brands
General
Other free reed instruments etc.

and none of this infantile code crap.. annoying and a deterrent to post.

Yr right, melodeon.net is everything you say it is, but I find very little about Cajun accordion. Am I looking in the wrong places?

When I started the Cajun Accordion Discussion Page -- the antecedent of this place -- I copied the Telecaster Discussion Page including using Bravenet. The Tele page has long since migrated to a better server. Bravenet deeply sucks and I'd kick in some bucks to help move this discussion to better Site...

When Tommy had the place going.. it was going and no spam or vicious viruses or mining my e mail address to send more spam .

The melodeon net format is the best I've seen.

As with Tommy, I'll kick in a few bucks to get going somewhere else.

Contact the web masters founders of melodeon net

find out what they are using and what the cost might be.
Certainly worth exploring as truthfully this site sucks.. big time and if there was an alternative.. I'd be there.

And please no more of this infantile code bs..

When Tommy started all this things were great... no vicious viruses, no mining e mail addresses and using them as a home base to send e mail and viruses..
so bad I had spent 2 1/2 hrs with earthlink in Alabama to clean up the mess. and now it's back

I get 25 to 50 spam messages a day all originating from the Cajun box site.

Since it can't be cleaned up.. vacate.. Go somewhere else

Contact the guys at melodeon net

No spam no trolls. no bs

As with Tommy I'll throw in a few bucks to get it going elsewhere.

And these Stoooooopid infantile codes.. what's with that..
It does nothing..
The spammers aren't us...

I wonder if we could get Theo on the melnet to add a Cajun category. But if not, I'd be willing to kick in a few bucks.

Bryan Lafleur
I wonder if we could get Theo on the melnet to add a Cajun category. But if not, I'd be willing to kick in a few bucks.

Hey Bryan,

I think the topics on the Cajun Accordion page are sufficiently distinct from the topics on Melnet to deserve its own server.
Accordion is obviously the main focus of interest here, but ppl also talk a lot about other instruments in cajun music and cajun culture in general. Such conversations would seem out of place on Melnet (which is very accordion and anglo folk centric).

I think it would be great for this forum to migrate to its own different server.
Also, perhaps changing its name to include "Zydeco" would be more inclusive and inviting to the Zydeco players.

A few subforums would be a nice touch. Something like "Accordion Talk" "Other instruments" "Cajun culture and chatroom" and "Buy and sell" (the number of subforums would have to be kept as low as possible since it is not a high traffic forum and too many categories would make it too segmented and harder to use).

I would also be happy to throw in a few bucks for it to happen.

Anything to get away from this corrupted site.

As mentioned in my other post.. there is a Cajun box discussion on mel net now.

Bryan, I was thinking the same thing..
But why not include all one rows as a separate category..
But then we'd be asking to have a separate two row and a separate 3 row. etc.

There is a Cajun box discussion there now.

Posts are there.. there is one thread going now.. do a search for Cajun

Perhaps if a few of you migrated over there we could stir up some action..
Rees Wesson of Wales posts there frequently and plays Cajun and Zydeco in his bands.

We should look into phpBB

We should look into phpBB. I am a member of a forum hosted there. It is quite good.

I think melodeon.net is a Yahoo Groups forum, isn't it? Yahoo Groups are OK-ish. phpBB is better.

Re: We should look into phpBB

David Sousa
We should look into phpBB. I am a member of a forum hosted there. It is quite good.

I think melodeon.net is a Yahoo Groups forum, isn't it? Yahoo Groups are OK-ish. phpBB is better.

Just did a quick search about the various forum options.
PhpBB, SMF (e.g., melodeon.net) and VBulletin seem to be the 3 most pupular options. VBulletin costs approx. 200$. The other 2 are free.
PhpBB has a lot of good reviews in terms of ease of use and managing. As David pointed out, a lot of good forums run on PhpBB.

I do not believe mel net is a Yahoo group

There was an Irish Box group at one time.

I was mistaken. Melodeon.net uses SMF - it is not a Yahoo group. There is a button accordion forum on Yahoo Groups, but I can't recall it's name.

In any case, the nice thing about SMF and phpBB is that they are both free for the software. The forum would still have to be hosted, but that is not terribly expensive.

I would sure hate to lose the thousands of posts in the archives of this site. Accordion repair tips, hundreds of lyric translations by Marc and others, links to old recordings. look up stuff in the archives on a regular basis. I guess this would all be lost if we switched to a different site. Yes?

There must be a way to go around that and retain the history .../ archives.

What about turning these b tards to a white list ?

phpBB and other discussion forum software allows for importing or conversion from other formats. But I don't know if the Bravenet format is one that can be imported or not. I'll see if I can find out.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!