Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Impulse trip to New Orleans

So ... as a recent retiree with zero commitments, I suddenly had the desire to take advantage of crazy airfares (<$125 round trip from Chicago) to spend a few days (10/2-10/5) in New Orleans. I went there with a girlfriend a couple decades ago, had some fun, but that trip was even more spontaneous than this one, so not much planning, not much flexibility, and therefore didn't see and do all I might have liked to. (It was also pre-Katrina, so I don't know what the differences vs. today might be.)

Any suggestions as to clubs, restaurants, must-see's, must-do's, etc., etc.? I'll be bringing my box along, though I don't imagine there are any jams in the area. Any fellow forum members in the immediate vicinity?

Re: Impulse trip to New Orleans

Bassman - I would suggest you belay that impulse and redirect yourself to the Festival Acadien et Creole in Lafayette a couple of weeks later. You know it makes sense.

Re: Impulse trip to New Orleans

Bassman (rhymes with Dane?),

For Cajun, check out the Bayou Club on Bourbon Street, featuring Bruce Daigrepont's Cajun band 3 nights a week, and Cameron Dupuy & co. a couple of others. You can also catch Cam & his dad playing at the airport in the afternoons. Mulate's in the Warehouse District features live Cajun music nightly, too.

For eclectic new Orleans jazz/funk/blues head to Frenchmen Street. My fave is the Spotted Cat, but the other half-dozen clubs in the 3-block stretch will provide all a musician could crave.

Tipitina's is an uptown institution, while House of Blues in the French Quarter, and Mid-City Rock'n Bowl are also hot.

Caveat: Be careful, this place shares a reputation with Chicago for violent crime.

If you decide to stay, a bassman can always find work!

-Nedro

In the

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!