Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The 2nd Gift of Gifts a little early

Excellent post !

My taste in Cajun music is ... the older, the better.

I have limited exposure to current players who emulate the older, or their own, style.

I completely agree with playing too fast. That is also a problem with Irish music and becoming so with many Quebec players.

It's all about NPM, notes per minute, aka BPM, beats per minute.

How about just one soulful note, that would make me happy.

Hey Mr Jeff....there are a couple of young up and coming players that are getting air time on the local Louisiana stations. I'm not going to name any names, but they play with a twittley finger style that's so fancy and fast that it's starting to nauseate me when I hear them play a two step. They even do it when they play some waltzes. They're trying to show their skills so much that it's getting out of hand. Well maybe I'll just go ahead and give an initial or two.....K.H. and the other is C.D. But if this happens to get back to them, maybe it will make them aware and sort of give them a reason to PUT A CORK IN IT!

33rd, you definitely crack me up.
However, if the young hot players like "KH" or "CD" (LOL) wanna play like they're the Jimi Hendrix of the cajun accordion, more power to them. Personally, I like the old style but must concede everyone can not play like Joe Falcon. We need a little variety dam it!

Re: The 2nd Gift of Gifts The Coup de Gras

Welp, here it is...the revealing.
What happens when you take the most avoided Cajun two step of the Hee Haw Breakdown played in 3Rd position key of "F" on a "C" accordion?

And switch to playing it in the 2nd Position or in the "5th" key of "G" on that same "C" accordion?

You get........"The Shamrock!"

And yes, "The Mardi Gras Jig" is the same song as "Hee Haw Breakdown" without the Woe Rock!
And You're Welcome once again!

Re: The 2nd Gift of Gifts The Coup de Gras

And once you learn the "Shamrock", go ahead and play it straight, just like Nathan Abshire on your "C" accordion in the easy 5th or 2nd position on the pull "key of G". While you're doing that, go ahead and sing the Hee Haw Breakdown. Do it on a C or even a D accordion if you want to. Also, you can take your "D" accordion and play along with Nathan's "Shamrock" in the above video. But to do this, you will have to play the 3rd position key of "G" on that "D" accordion. And that will teach you all these Hee Haw versions mentioned in every position, backwards, forwards, upside down and sideways, so that you can never be baffled by this tricky bull sh** ever again when you watch another accordion player wowing the crowd. From now on, that accomplished accordion player will be YOU! No More of this so called Accordion Penis Envy! Your dissatisfaction, anger, feeling of being left behind or left out will decrease and your confidence and standing amongst accordion players will begin to climb for the stars. The 2nd Gifts of Gifts.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!