Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: reeds and such

It's a little hard to tell being new reeds comparing to old well broken in reeds, but they definitely have strong hints of the sound I was hoping for. They have a nice punch and good volume, absolutely on par with premium Italian reeds. I feel a very slight hesitation in response, which I'm hoping the #1's do not have.

If you're in La, the accordion with the #3 (a mano professional) reeds is on display at SOLA in Lafayette, Anya Burgess' violin store. I left it there for people to try out and give me feedback. I'd really appreciate anyone's opinion.

I think the side on both Harmonikas sets I've tried are good. They have a bigger big base reed, which gives it a little more honk. The hallmark sound of the old German boxes that I love so much is the chords, which are small chord reeds on a single plate. I wasn't able to get Harmonikas to understand what I wanted, or they just didn't want to, on ordering the chord reeds like that. So I have been attaching the chord reeds together to try to capture that sound. It is close but not quite the same. I also have been using 4 chord reeds instead of 3.

What about the Sappo and the Antenelli reeds? Are they still available? I had old Master accordions with them at one time. The best tone I ever had was my first Sydney Brown with the Hohner tupelo reeds but I broke several at every gig. My Bincis in my Falcon are the workhorses but lack the clarity and brightness.

Salpa reeds are not available anymore. Antonelli are, that's what Elton Doucet puts in most, if not all, of his. I think the Ciccarelli are close to Salpa, but he's become very unreliable.

http://frment.com/reeds/salpa-accordion-reeds/

Somewhat of false advertising. I buy parts from FRM. I asked Frank about his advertised Salpa reeds. He said they're not Salpa, but the company who took them over, which I believe is Voci Armoniche.

Seems to be true but SALPA "pattern"

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!