Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Les Veuves and first position

I guess you're referring strictly to a C accordion, Peer?

Sometimes even if there's a note missing, you can "play around it", like playing "J'ai Passé" in G on a C accordion. The C# is missing, but it's apparently not real important because you can dance around the D chord notes a bit. Some missing notes are too important to be danced around, though

Peer - so nice to see you again.

Thanks, Mr. Guy. Happy to be back. Actually, I have been lurking quite a bit, but tinnitus and shoulder/elbow problems kept me from playing CA.

Bryan, of course the white keys correspond with the notes on a C accordion only. I was just saying that it's a nice way of testing what's possible on a Cajun accordion and what's not.
All tunes you can play on the white keys are playable on a CA. To play in a different key you will need an accordion in a different tuning, but the fact remains.

:cat:

Thats interesting Peer, I have a PA on long term loan but have never been bothered to play it, so you can pick out single piano key notes and it corresponds?
Might be a good way for me to start messing with it.

The white keys on a PA, piano, keyboard, whatever, correspond to the notes on an C accordion.
So you can figure out what you can do on a CA and what you can't. Not necessarily in C but of course also in G, and Dm, Am and F are also possible to some degree.
Of course you can figure this out on a C box rightaway, but a keyboard offers a fresh point of view. Litterally, because now you can see all the notes on the keyboard. No black keys. No pushing and pulling. Easy!
Any song or tune playable on those white keys is possible on a CA. Of course, for other keys you need a different box, but the idea stays the same.
I hope this makes any sense!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!