Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Savoy Box in "C" Wanted.

Not by me.

I have a friend looking for a Savoy Box in the key of C.

If you go to the web site melodeon.net and go to forum and then Buy and Sell there is a post there requesting one.

His name is Theo and he has a box shop in England and he is looking for a Savoy for a friend/customer.

He does not want a Miller, or a Martin, or a better (non butted) box, he wants a Savoy in "C".

Thanks

Re: Savoy Box in "C" Wanted.

He has excellent taste in accordions...

Butt no class : )

What do you mean by butted?

Don't start.

Whoops didn't know that was a hot button issue

Jeff - check this out

The ultimate solution. Anything less is totally inadequate.

View on YouTube

Re: Jeff - check this out

Nedro, it is completely black, no image.

BUTT joints are an expedient, fast production method of joining the frames, takes little if any skill and looks "industrial".

Mitered joints take care and skill and do not look like fast production, and industrial quality.

Butt joints are used by the "big 3" Cajun makers, others choose learn the skill and make the effort to go that extra step.
My thoughts are that if you are going to "cut corners" and make (you don't really "make" butt joints) butt joints, what else is the maker compromising.

Yer welcome.

Thanks......i think

The black image is a router that produces a miter with a tongue-and-groove centered across the joint.

FYI my 15-yr-old Falcon (Big 3?) has mitered joints. Aesthetics are not a priority with him, though. He focuses on sound and tuning. I dunno if he still miters.

I've had three of his accordions. Sound and tuning don't come to mind nor does playability.

I played only one Falcon.My opinion...
I prefer professionally made accordeons.

There are methods of joining corners superior even to miters in strength and appearance.

There is no wood connection/joint weaker or more simplistic or aesthetically deprived than a butt joint.
Long grain to end grain is the first thing you learn NOT to do in woodworking.

PS I made vernacular furniture for 20 years,, accounts around the US and pieces in Museums in Japan, London, Atlanta, the Hamptons in New York..and in collections across the US and around the world....Why? . Not because I am some kind of genius.. NO butt joints and if that style of work is made with a butt joint, you know a hack made it.
NO I did not, and do not, use butt joints for anything.

Imaging a violin with butt joints.

I find butt joints a sign of disrespect.. just like music books without a spiral binding.. no respect for the buyer/musician.

Just my opinion based on experience.

Well I know for a fact that my legs are attached at a butt-joint...

Not sure I believe that considering the State and County you live in : )
Doves seem to abound (at the highest level in Sacramento)

I live in Fort Bragg in Mendocino County... Nanner and etc...

Isn't that a commie, tree hugger, greenie, vegan, last vestige of Wannabee Rastafarian/Yogan,Buddhist/touchy feely trust fund baby hippie dom ?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!