Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jennings Squeezebox Shootout

Are we to conclude that Steve Riley is a fraud ?

Just askin'.

Hmmm... are we reluctant to reply ?

ergo.. silence is a confirmation of the question.

There's flash and then there is:

one genuine, soulful note.

Though I am a perpetual student of the accordeon and a rank beginner...
my favorite players are from an earlier time to include Jude on his CD ..
this is what I thought Cajun accordeon was/is.

Shoot-outs are a derivative of the black jazz musicians "cut sessions"
specifically invented/designed/contrived to eliminate white musicians. Pitiful, and a blatant display of racsism.

To Product of an Inv.....You need to shorten your handle. We can't see the whole of it. Thus, some effect is lost on yer part.

I don't know brother...are we to conclude that Steve Riley is a fraud? He has inspired many. Even to the point that they play the accordion just like him and choose the same songs that he redid. So, he does have superior talent when it comes to playing Cajun accordion. But he lacks greatly in the skills to teach directly how to play the accordion. He is not as forth coming with information as I would expect a true master to be toward his students. And anyone that withholds information in my opinion is either ignorant of such information, or he has ulterior motives which may suggest fraudship. << new word. Because when everyone has the skills of Steve Riley...then what are his skills worth. Not much. Steve Riley learned from Dewey Balfa the following concept. Steve, I'm flattered that you can sing just like me, but you need to find your own voice and style. In other words, its creeping me out that you sound just like me, AND I DON'T LIKE IT. Enough to come straight out and tell you about it...Dewey Balfa. LOL, that's when Steve learned that he was going to have to take another approach to re introducing Cajun music to the Cajun people and then to the world. He was going to have to steal from old songs that already existed and do something to them. He was going to change them and make them his own. How would he do that? Well, he would play the accordion differently that's how. Different from them old supposed masters. Using more buttons, chords, thrills, octaves, and glitz that you could hear and see with your own eyes. He took something old and made something new out of it and claimed all the credit that was bestowed upon him by the ignorant Cajun masses and also the world. Is he a fraud? Good question.

I thought the point was to keep the entire culture alive by any means necessary

" He is not as forth coming with information as I would expect a true master to be toward his students. And anyone that withholds information in my opinion is either ignorant of such information, or he has ulterior motives which may suggest fraudship."

I recall a video where Marc Savoy said he would help anyone who wanted to learn how to build and accordeon. That, according to my first hand resources, was "fraudship" "

I do some stuff that I will not divulge to most people, ( nothing to do with music) because I fear their motive in what I know is not to know it, but to use it.
I hope that makes sense ...
I won't help anyone who does not go to the effort of helping themselves first.

It is not "what you know"
it is "how you know it"

How do you know what you know. I know because I did it and failed, and then I did it again and again and again, and then I learned. I was not taught, I learned.

If you know how you know something, then you know it.
Those that have "suffered" to know something.. by way of effort, trial and error, mistakes, long hours, pain etc
Those are the people that know something.

Those that simply go to someone and say " teach me", are not worthy. Money does not buy knowledge, time buys knowledge.

Those that come to me and say I tried this and this and this and I failed, could you help me. Certainly, gladly.

I believe that would be : Product of an Individual Contributor.

ie NOT a team player.

jjhildrethstudios.com

After seeing the website and reading a bit I see about butt joints and anybody should understand the help comment

Before I started doing Motor Sports Logo Art..
I spent 20 years making furniture and folk art. Always hand made beginning to end by me alone, and always painted.

Furniture made by immigrants to the US and Canada 1850 to 1950 to include:
Quebecois, Gustavian, Ukrainian, Mennonite, Hutterite, Russian, Swedish, Shaker, Doukhobor, Spanish Revival, and Monterey .
That's is where I learned about paint and about joinery. Entirely self taught.
My work is in museums in Japan, Belgium, London, Hamptons in New York, Atlanta, etc...
I did a Folk Art and Furniture show in Chicago for many years, had 24 accounts around the US and quit cold turkey..just as I quit 25 years in the car biz to do furniture.

My logo art.. 21 countries.. several museums, race tracks (Laguna Seca), private collections ..etc
not a point of brag.. it is a point of never giving up and never accepting less than your best, never accept your best as "the" best.. no compromises. Keep going.. there is always another level..though not readily seen or appreciated by others...that doesn't matter.

I make or blend most of my paint, I hand draw with a Pentel mechanical pencil and hand paint with small artist brushes.. no computers, no silk screening, no tricks. Just paint and time. One at a time.

This was also my philosophy when I started making accordeon components and gearing up to make boxes when the .. well.. I hit a wall and spent a little time regrouping. Perhaps one day I'll get back to that.. no compromises, no butt joints. Meantime, I still experiment and draw and mess about but not with a production intent.

BTW I have the greatest admiration for the originals, the creators, the innovators, those who may be slightly off the main path. Tradition is great and tradition evolves...but losing sight, or not giving credit, or taking credit for someone elses work. .. bad form.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!