Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Greezy McGill's True Identity

Here's Ossun's cousin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Aj3FgDZa8

Ha Derrick...if you know about Lougon's and been there, then you're pretty dam close to my hood. I've bought a box or two of #4 steel shot shells and a bottle a pop or two there.

Marine Corps Intel? Tell me more as in...What Unit? Because I myself have spent some time with the various Intel departments of the US Marine Corps. I'd tell you more, but I'd have to kill ya, LOL. Counter Intel, Collection, Analysis, Linguist, Recon, Anti-Terrorism?? Which one and where at?

If you do know who I am, all you have to do for accordion lessons is show up at my house and ring the doorbell. I'd be happy to work with you on the music no charge, provided you came wanting to learn about the old style of accordion playing and you have your own accordion that's NOT in the key of "B flat" LOL. If you've read all my posts and understood my point of view, then I'm sure our first conversations about the music and the accordion would be pretty got dam interesting to say the least.

Interesting, USMC intel X3 in this forum. Whod'a thunk.

You were in Marine Intel Bryan? Dam, this is getting crazy!?

Analyst (0231), but I did do some interrogation work with counter intel. I was in 3rd Bn 4th Mar, 7th Mar Reg, 1st MarDiv, ‘02-‘07, 29 Palms, but spent half my enlistment running around the Euphrates River Valley. I’m originally from Lake Arthur, but grew up in Creole. My first-cousin owns Lougon’s.

Well D. You sure sound legit. And that last name of yern is way too familiar to me. Not many Wag's in this world to choose from. So you were a spook so to speak? Me, I was a 2674 span ling, sigint collection and counter terrorism, but fell into an untouchable group called JTF-129 for nearly all of my tour...and I've said too much already. LOL, but how many people from Spanish speaking countries are terrorists? Just the cartels. My job was experimental and pretty much a big waste of my time and effort to do good for the world. As you can see for yourself the world is still over run with drugs, terrorists, and pieces of SH** of all types. I didn't even make a dint! Didn't make a dint because the got dam cartels, the terrorists, and the pieces of sh** on the world scene are funded and supported by certain entities within the US Gov that launder misappropriated gov money through these evil basterds and set themselves up real nice with lots of cash and standing amongst the elite. On that, you can believe! And it's a got dam cryin shame too! Nothing is what it seems. LOL, foil hat anyone?

Are you living back in Lac Arthur? I been wanting to go over there (30 minute drive) and scout the local Cajun musician talent. Do you know of any jam sessions there other than the occasional one in the barber shop? There's bound to be some "Champions" lurking somewhere around in that area waiting to be discovered or even helped along. Or maybe they can help me find a niche and finally be somewhere that I would fit in with this confounded Cajun music addiction of mine. Or do you live back in Creole? I didn't think anybody still lived in Creole after the water rose up and destroyed the area. Got Dammit! Makes me miss Rutherford and Holly Beach. Lots of good times there far back in my past.

Married a Welsh girl, so now I live in Greyhound-Town. Next Sunday, the 27th, at noon, there is a jam at the L.A. Bar. It’ll be the inaugural session of a new jam started by some younger guys from L.A.

And there are still people living in Creole. One of my brothers still lives there, as well as a few good friends. 6 years ago, myself and some buddies revived the Mardi Gras Courir down there, and have been having it every year.

Am I understanding that there is a bar called the LA Bar in Welsh (Greyhound Town) that wants to start a jam session every Sunday?

Man, they ought to have it on Saturday mornings, and feature one weekend with "C" accordions, and the next weekend with "D" accordions only. No amplifiers!!!

Also, with someone in the jam group that calls the key that the song will be played in. And the accordion player or at least someone in the building has to be able to name the original artist of the song. LOL

No, the LA Bar in Lake Arthur.

Oh ok D Wag. Man, you have to be as clear as possible on this website. Many people on here never even heard of Lake Arthur, much less the LA Bar. So "The Lake Arthur Bar" is the name? Shouldn't be hard to find right?

2671 for me, 82-86. Stationed at 1st Radio Bn in Hawaii but spent the winters in bunkers and tents on the DMZ of Korea. No accordions anywhere in sight.

Bryan, 2671 is that an Arabic linguist? What the heck? Man, that must have been a curse to learn that language! Turn your tongue upside down and inside out! Monterey California for the language school? I was there when Clint Eastwood was the Mayor of Carmel. A sea side town just down the road from Monterey. Never met him though. LOL Dude, if you trained in Monterey, we've seen, felt, heard, and smelled many of the same things. LOL

And no, while I was doing my service I never ran into any accordion players neither. I was the only one that I knew of. So, I began to actually play and learn accordion in North Carolina as a self exiled Cajun listening to video tapes of Randols Seafood Restaurant weekend dance bands. I especially played the ones with Reggie Matte and a very young Roddie Romero over and over again. But Reggie was playing on a "D" accordion and I only had a "C" at the time, so I had to convert every song. Mind boggling for a beginner, but it sure does exercise the ears!

'71 is Korean. Clint was mayor of Carmel while I was there, too. He had a bar there called the Hog's Breath. Several of my over 21 buddies would go there, and if was there, they said he always came sit with them and buy them rounds. You had to be 21 to get in so I never did. What year were you at DLI?

I lived on the Monterey Peninsula for 40 years, most of the time in Pacific Grove. I moved there in 1957. . My parents owned restaurants in Monterey and Carmel. My brother still lives in PG in a house we owned jointly. He brews root beer in Pacific Grove SPARKY's.

I graduated from Pacific Grove High School in 1964. Went to MPC. Both my daughters were born in Carmel.

There was on box player who lived in Carmel Valley, he had a string band. They often played Cajun tunes. I'll get back to you with his name and the name of the band.
As I recall he played a REGAL in C.

I started playing the accordion while I lived there somewhere around 1990.

Many of my friends either attended or taught at the DLI.

LA bar has been on Main Street in Lake Arthur for a long time. Right next to city hall and the lake.

Well, really about 1 block north of city hall. There’s another bar directly across the street called Charlie’s, which is right next to the old capital one bank

It was first opened in 1910, and there’s a lot of period stuff on the inside, it’s as much museum as it is bar.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!