Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The elusive "key of F" accordion

I have. I would think most players who've been playing a while can id the notes on their basic accordion, especially if that's the one they learned on, at least the guys I've been around can. It seems easy on a C, but anything else seems not as easy to remember. I can remember the D just because I've tuned so many.

Knowing the notes of my accordions was pretty critical when I was learning songs in the 3rd position, it helped with the transposing since it seemed so unnatural to me to play in that position.

Bryan, you have no idea just how right you are. Time and understanding within this accordion discussion group will prove it. For those that are able to pay attention, seek, search, and decipher all of it, once it's all said and done.

You'll see......

Woops, this thread needs a correction for posterity's sake. My comments concerning the 2nd position have been proven wrong by my very own self. The positions have changed to a new system.

"C" accordion positions/KEY PATTERNS = 6
(C,D,E,F,G,A)
(1,2,3,4,5,6)

There used to be only 3 positions spoken of: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. The only one that was correct was the 1st (being the primary key of any Cajun accordion). ie: most popular Cajun accordion is a "C" accordion whose primary key on the push is "C".

Positions or Keys (any Cajun accordion)

1st position = primary key on the push

2nd position = blues key pattern (rare)

3rd position = trinity pattern(rare)aka "The Holy Trinity" named for the 3 repeating push chords on any Cajun accordion. On a "C" accordion the trinity is the "E" chord

4th position = the backside pattern. Used to be the 3rd position

5th position = on the pull aka "In the 5th". Used to be the 2nd position

6th position = gypsy key pattern, the Mardi Gras song pattern (rare)

Confirmation Button Chord Doubles (any Cajun accordion)

1st position = push buttons 3/6. push buttons 6/9.

2nd position = pull buttons 3/7.

3rd position = push buttons 1/4. push buttons 4/7. push buttons 7/10.

4th position = pull buttons 4/8. pull buttons 4/5/8.

5th position = push buttons 2/5. push buttons 5/8. pull button 1.

6th position = pull buttons 5/9.

FYI...Jim Pettijohn aka BmoreBusker is attempting to show some of these chords and positions on youtube as of late. Could it be that he has read and understood my discoveries and declarations and is now using them to take a couple steps up the ladder of hierarchy? Why sure he is. Right Jum? Thas mah boy! LOL, I think he hates me.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!