Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New

I’m going to begin playing the cajun accordion and was looking for advice on purchasing a cheap, but decent accordion. I found one for around $350. Little more then I wanted to spend, but what the heck. Can anyone tell me of Bonetti Accordions are any good before I purchase it. Here la a link to it: http://www.usamusicsupply.com/accordions/cajun-accordions/new-zydeco-cajun-accordion-button-box-c-w-warranty.html

Any information for a beginner cajun accordion player would be more then appreciated, thank you!

Re: New

Dan,

Beware the Bonetti. It is the same box as the Hohner Ariette. Both are made in China and are of extremely low quality. Their difficult playability only makes learning that much harder.

Your budget is a problem.

Look for a used Hohner HA-114 - they can be found for $350-$400 used, often higher. Gabbanelli Cajun Kings and Weltmeisters cost about twice that used. LA handmade accordions range from about $1200 up, averaging about $1800 used.

It might be wise to wait and save up for an instrument that will reward your time and effort.

Good luck,

Nedro

Thanks for the advice!

I'm new as well I have a hohner like mentioned i guess the other accordions play better? If i can play mine I guess a better quality won't be a problem

HOHNER HA114.. preferably made in Germany..
make that ONLY made in Germany.

The older, the better.

Lots of great music has been made on these.

Veteran makers of "CAJUN" accordeons have used HOHNER parts... such as Shine Mouton.

Avoid ANY Chinese made accordeon. They are junk. Unplayable, unfixable trash with zero resale /trade value.

Get an older HA 114.

Fast, fun, cheap, light weight, easy to repair, lots of parts available..

I thought you died

Hello I assume the HA 114 is a model number? I have the arriete. It is kind of difficult after was able to play another friend acadian any thoughts on those models or should I stick with a HA 114?

The Ariette is a ridiculous abomination and barely worthy of a Christian burial.

HA114 Hohners made in Germany are superb instruments compared to the Ariette which is not an accordion but an acoustic appliance best relegated to fuel for a BBQ.

Sadly, I am not dead.. just resting my eyes.

The only thing dead around here is the site itself.

Obviously from an opiate overdose.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!