Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New video is up

Nightshade well done. That is what Nedreaux plays.

Developing nicely. It sounds like there is a phrase missing just before the end. Check your phrasing against mine - maybe by slowing the song down and playing along.

You've got to hammer this thing out until it's smooth and contiguous. Practice, practice, practice. Then there's the B part...

Sounds pretty good on the Gab and the Martin, but that Ariette (just like mine) will only make the job harder.

Mr. Guy, the stubborn Scot, is signalling his disapproval of my version, which is common and frequent. We're all going to play it differently, but only Mr. Guy will be correct - always.

Guy, why don't you post yours for us?

HAHAHAHAHAHA yeah I'm gonna go back through it this evening and watch yours again. The Arriet was just me joking around with it. If you can play that you can play anything. I ain't worried a bit about the b part I watched from two weeks ago if I can get from there to here with it I can do anything. Thanks Ned if it wasn't for you I'd still be two weeks ago. Mr. Guy,I'll get my own sound eventually but I appreciate any pointers or suggestions you might have.

Taking my own advice, I have gone back to my library to dig through the bones a find where I started. After listening to Walker again, I have clearly strayed from his benchmark version.

In my Ossun folder I have 10 different artists' versions of the song, several of which I have studied in depth.

So, what I have thrown out there is a gumbo of influences that represent my interpretation of the song. Like gumbo, there is no cut-and-dried recipe - it's what's in the larder on that day. Though different, they are all gumbo, some good, some bad, some better, and some worse.

This all started with a old YouTube post of mine last year that I can't locate now, but you liked it. So, that's how we got here.

I apologize if I have lead you into a version of the song that doesn't match up to the original.

There is absolutely no reason for you to apologize for anything Ned. I ve had more fun these last two weeks messing with this song. The video you're talking about you're in a building with a poster of day of the dead marilyn peeking over your shoulder that's my favorite version. Besides out of three people I asked for the song you and one other have taken the time to explain it. Besides worse comes to worse we'll package it as Ned's Ossun Two Step feat. Nightshade and his sound of downtown renown.LETS FINISH THE SONG! We done come this far don't stop now!

Great version played by GOD

Ossun 2 Step

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUqfep1g0W8 ]url]

I got a looooonnngggg way to go to get there

May "God" forgive me for posting this! In the name of the Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit......kneels and ask for forgiveness of wrongdoing.

I actually learned Stever's version note for note and at speed for my first attempt of what I thought was the Ossun. I really wish I could go back in time and erase that part of my accordion playing life. Little did I know that all I had to do was seek out the old Master's version to learn it right! Instead, I learned it from a guy that once wore parachute pants and a mullet cut. Jesus Cripes what was I thinking?!

Oh, the "Ossun" part starts @ 2:34 if you don't feel like listening to all that drivel and codswallop at the beginning.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!