Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ossun Two Step Revisited

when you go there you will see that I transcribed some of the songs on there. Maybe Greezy can help Wade out he's always needed songs transcribed.

I think you finally fun Greezy off. On a better note everyone here at work has enjoyed The Chickens know its Mardi Gras during our morning flex and stretch hopefully you'll get more downloads out of it

Ossun Two-Step (Instrumental) · Ray Abshire · Courtney Granger · Kevin Wimmer · Andre Michot

--------------- For Old Times Sake albumn

-------Ossun 2 Step Cleanest Version I have heard yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X7w9KcTlSE

Excellent rendition by a great traditionalist. It's interesting that Ray Abshire has substantially changed the detail of the song from the Walker version, yet artfully keeps the melody intact with his unique interpretation.

Jnightshade and I will have to hone our skills a bit before addressing this one. :-)

Me and Nedro can do it!

Ha, that would be Floyd Soileau that had the record label and recording studio. Leo was an early fiddler.

I am amazed by Lawrence's recordings. He not only was a great player, he was quite an innovator. He may not have been the first to do some of the licks he does, but he's the first I've heard recordings of.

Yep, Floyd as in "Floyd's Record Shop." I lost track of time.

That brings to mind, are you related to Mayeus Lafleur who played for Leo?

Yes, but not closely.

Here Nedro let me help you out.

Reposting video for ole Nedro.

Along with Lawrence Walker's version, it is worth your time to also check out Aldus' version. Pick the best stuff from both and make your own style. I personally have both of these versions as my guide. When the Ossun is played right, it's hard to beat. A very good song to have in your repertoire, but you got to play it right!

*note, the Ossun Two Step requires a great commitment from an accordion player to learn. Both parts of this song do not come intuitively. Remember, Aldus is playing this version using single button style. It Can Be Found! You just have to commit with an Iron Will!

Oh, and have a listen to Aldus' very last run on this version. Not the melody, but the turn! The man is practically raping that accordion. Listen to it scream. LOL

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!