Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jam songs

Greezy, I apologize, please don't let my smart-ass remarks discourage you from posting.

Ok D. Thank you for that. I must have read your comments using my combative personality yesterday. To you too Joesu'(can you tell us how to pronounce your name). I may have come off pretty hard on you as well. For that, I also apologize to you both. I'll be the first to admit that I do have multi personalities. They all serve me well depending on the situation LOL.

D-wag, an explanation of the different personalities....they are stick figures. Don't ever forget that. If you ever meet us in person, they will hide themselves but, the attentive person might be able to detect them within us. We use them due to the nature of the internet. If we were to use our real names identifying our person or persons, with all the controversial things we tend to say, the guilt and worry of the judgment upon our persons would be too much. We already tried it and it did not go well. Ok, I will go back to speaking in the singular now. This multi personality talk is starting to freak me out too.

Joesu', I used to attend jam sessions myself. The older players that I knew personally, never carried a written song list. They didn't carry a song book either. They played the songs that they felt they wanted to play or they'd play the songs that someone at the jam would request. Sometimes, the fiddle players would start a song and the old accordion players would either pick it up or not play along at all. Sometimes, some other accordion player at the jam would pick it up instead. As time goes by, the well practiced accordion player will be able to pick up on just about any song and pull it off as if he knows it provided the song being played is within the keys that his accordion, and he himself, the accordion player is capable of playing. You really need to communicate with the fiddle players at them jam sessions. Get their input and find out which key they prefer playing in according to how they have their fiddle tuned. Then, with time, you practice playing songs on your accordion on those keys. You do realize that a fiddle player (and guitar players too) prefer certain key songs when he or she is playing fiddle or guitar? Just like accordion players prefer playing in either "C" or "G" on the "C" accordion. Let these hidden facts guide you and your list making.

The list isn't so much to carry to the Jams, it's for home practice and learning the lyrics and finding them on records. If 4 people would give 10 songs, that's 40 new songs to practice the lyrics etc...

I'm glad no one included La Porte En Arriere in their list. Used to love that song and now can only listen to the original.

My short list that I'd play at any jam and most fiddlers should know.

2 steps
Eunice
One Step de Chameaux
Midland
Port Aurthur Blues
Walker Special

Waltz
Criminelle
Vacher
Platin
Sosthene
Minuit

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!