Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Real" Titles on Marc Savoy's Back To Basics CD

On his first Back To Basics CD, Marc Savoy used a lot of unconventional titles for some fairly familiar tunes. I've figured out most of these, but I'm hoping others who have the CD might have ID'd some of the remaining stragglers:

01 Amédé's Waltz = ?
02 Amédé Two Step = Amede Two-Step
03 Alton Landreneau Two Step = Wandering Aces Special
04 Valse a Wade Frugé = Ville Platte Two-Step / Depuis L'Age de 15 Ans
05 Two Step a Sidney Fourneroy = Highpoint Two-Step
06 Valse a Hiram Fontenot = Dimanche Apres-Midi
07 Two Step a Willo Balfa = Evangeline Playboy Special
08 Eunice Two Step = Eunice Two Step
09 Valse a LJ Hébert = ?
10 Two Step a Cyprien Landreneau = Wafus Two-Step / Talle de Ronces
11 Two Step a Alphée Bergeron = Quelle Etoile / Chinaball Special / Pine Island Two-Step
12 Valse de L'anse Maigre = Choupique Waltz
13 Two Step a Bode Frugé = Chameaux One-Step
14 Valse a Cheese Read = ?
15 Marc's Waltz = ?

Any ideas?

Re: "Real" Titles on Marc Savoy's Back To Basics CD

Dane, you're way ahead of me. I spent some time unraveling these songs, and finally gave it up. My list is shorter than yours, and has no new information.

The complete resolution of all the underlying song titles would be helpful for those of us intensely interested in this stuff.

04 caught my attention, being both a waltz and a two step.

I hope you get better responses from the field that I have been able to give.

Yeah, I did the same and didn't have anything to add.

Ned - Yeah, the Ville Platte Two-Step is an old Dennis McGee tune that is clearly a waltz, not a two-step (no idea why the title). Later covered by Al Berard & Karen England, as well as (under the title "Depuis L'Age de Quinze Ans") by Courtney Granger and by Joe Hall.

Bassman
Ned - Yeah, the Ville Platte Two-Step is an old Dennis McGee tune that is clearly a waltz, not a two-step (no idea why the title). Later covered by Al Berard & Karen England, as well as (under the title "Depuis L'Age de Quinze Ans") by Courtney Granger and by Joe Hall.

I wonder if Courtney got it from the Savoy Doucet Band, since they recorded it under the title Depuis L'age de Quinze Ans on the Les Harias album in 1984? I have the vinyl. Will have to check the liner notes and see if they say where Savoy Doucet got it from.

Califiddler -- I found that most of the songs I was able to ID on Back to Basics were ones Marc had performed previously, but I wasn't aware that he'd done "Depuis L'Age de Quinze Ans," since Les Harias never seems to have made it from vinyl to CD/MP3. I'll be interested to hear what you learn from the liner notes.

Here's what it says about Depuis L'Age de Quinze Ans in the liner notes to Les Harias:

"This is a very old tune of Dennis McGee that Marc has always loved so Marc fit the song to the accordion and with the help of our friend Eric Martin wrote some words to it. He wanted it to be a story of a young woman who was abandoned by the man she loved when she was fifteen years old. She had his child and though she later remarried she was always searching for another like him."

That's funny -- in the original McGee lyrics, it's the girl who abandons the guy: "Since the age of 15, you promised me your little heart. At the age of 16, you abandon me."

Think I just nailed another: Valse a Cheese Read = Valse de Prairie Ronde.

3 other possibilities :
1 - Amede waltz : La bonne vie (Savoy-Doucet Cajun Band)
9 - Valse à L.J. Hebert : Valse de Grande Pinière (Magnolia Sisters)
14- Valse à Cheese Read : Valse de Prairie Ronde

Marc

Thanks, Marc. I think that completes the list (I kinda assume that "Marc's Waltz" actually is a Marc Savoy original).

That’s what I think, Mark’s Waltz would be a Marc Savoy original

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!