Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Upgrading from beginner’s accordion

A few health issues from botched surgeries following crashes mnay years ago..
Plus a torn meniscus surgery a couple months ago.

All but quit playing... offed most of my accordions..
3 left...

Maybe one day when my left wrist and thumb ( which was relocated in a surgery last year in order to save it) heal up ..
and I have a little more time..
selling my place ( 11 1/2 acres in So Oregon)..
our town was invaded by dope growers so we are leaving..
Fixing this place and fixing up the place where we are moving.. this takes all my time.

Thanks to all who replied here or reached out to me privately with great advice. It is appreciated. I’m going to be patient, save up for a new Cajun made box, and just keep grinding on my beginners instrument for now. I’ll post back when I do upgrade and show everyone what I end up getting.

In the meantime if anyone runs across a smoking deal on a used Cajun box, send it my way. I keep a pretty close eye on Craigslist, eBay and FB Marketplace, but with what people are asking for used instruments ($$$$), i feel like I might as well save a little more and buy new.

Hey James. Very good idea to keep grinding on your beginner accordion until you know what you're looking for. After all, it pays to be educated before you drop a grand or 3 on a freakin accordion that should serve you for the rest of your life! The first Sterlings went for roughly $40?!! Remember what I said, you have the rest of your life to make the right choice. No need to rush. So much of Cajun accordion playing has to do with the playing style that develops over decades of playing. I've seen novices that couldn't make an accordion sound good no matter what they played on, but those same accordions in the hands of a master sounded just fine. Playing doubles and triples make the sound of your accordion much fuller. Playing doubles and triples with the right timing and rhythm, make the sound of your accordion unforgettable to the ears that hear it. It is also much more satisfying to the player to be able to play on more than just the 3 middle buttons, lol.

Playing on a crappy accordion with bad action? Well, that will make you that much more smoother and appreciative as a player when you finally find that "perfect" accordion for you (not going to happen). You'll have to settle for what you can get just like everyone else. The key is to mold yourself to the accordion that you do get. Otherwise, you'll never be satisfied and you'll spend way more money than you should.

You rushed in and bought a Chinese Hohner didn't you? By doing that, you broke the first rule of playing Cajun accordion.......patience.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!