Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Figuring out how to follow a CD: Jolie BLonde

Thanks to all the folks who answered questions about Jolie Blonde. I'm still learning but decided to do easier songs, like Bayou Pompon or Jai Passe devant ta porte. I will prob. get to Steve Riley's Jolie Blonde later, want more time with other songs. Still trying to figure out how to play in key of G on a C accordian. No clue how one would do key of F, but hear, one can. I have Larry Miller's book on Beginner Accordian. All 3 answers were great. Am really trying to get to know the songs real well, and humming them helps. A different can of worms is singing and playing the accordian or doing like a back-up rhythum. It's easier to just stop playing and let a guitar take over or a fiddle. Am finding, while playing with others that a good rhythum gitar really helps, when they back off because they may not really know the cajun song, it can be difficult. Still enjoying my beginner accordian though!

Re: Figuring out how to follow a CD: Jolie BLonde

I think it's useful to learn how to play blend (2-note) chords quietly during jams while other instruments are playing or vocalists are singing -- it will reinforce your understanding of the songs, strengthen your familiarity with keyboard, and ultimately make playing melody much easier.

If you drop your left hand and keep your right-hand fingers in the "home" position (i.e., index finger on the 5 key and your other fingers on the 6, 7, and 8 keys), you can play pretty much all the basic blends you'll need:

In Key of C -
C = any combination of push keys (I usually use 5-6 push = G & C notes)
F = 5-8 pull (= A & F notes)
G = 6-7 pull (= B & D notes)

In Key of G -
C = same as above
G = same as above
D = 5-7 pull (= A & D notes)

Because many G songs don't have a lot of C chords, you may find yourself at times with the bellows fully extended. To avoid this, you can play a G octave (5-8 push) in place of the G blend, which will give you a chance to push instead of pull and get the bellows back where you're comfortable.

In Key of F (rare, but just in case) -
F = same as above
Bb = 7-8 pull (= D & F notes)
C = same as above

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!