Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ambrose Thibodeaux and Hathaway Hop

Hathaway Two Step, Mamou Cajun Band
(Roy Fuselier, Sady Courville, Preston Manuel, Joe Bradford; Roy Fontenot absent from recording)

http://www.npmusic.org/KEUN_Mamou_Hour_Cajun_Band_with_Revon_Reed_and_Sady_Courville_Hathaway_Two_Step.mp3

I believe the original is by Amedie Breaux. Nathan Abshire did a version in the 1950s.

I think Nathan Abshire was the first to record the tune under the name "Hathaway Two-Step" in 1949, but it was recorded in 1929 under the title "La Stomp Creole" by Harrington, Landry and Steward. I've never heard Amede Breaux's version, and don't know when he recorded it, but Hathaway is a small community about 10 miles north of Jennings, which was Nathan's stomping grounds around that time (The Pine Grove Club was NE of Jennings). It would make more sense that Nathan would have named his version of the tune for that area, but I could be wrong.

Some lagniappe for y'all, Hathaway is home to one of the most traditional Mardi Gras celebrations in South Louisiana, the Grand Marais Courir, which is probably closer to the Medieval French Mardi Gras celebrations than any other Courir in Louisiana.

I also found a version on the LP This is Mamou Cajun Radio(1979 Sonet label) with
Accordion, Vocals – LeRoy Fuselier
Arranged By – S. Courville*
Design – Wagner Design Unit
Guitar, Vocals – Preston Manuel
Lacquer Cut By – T*
Liner Notes – Sam Charters*
Triangle – Joe Bradford
Violin – Sady Courville
Words By – Revon Reed*

Found this in an interesting playlist with 100 songs in it !

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!