Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lets See If You Have Soul

Many accordion players never take a crack at this song by Belton Richard. I think I know why that is, and they are surely missing out. They are missing out on that feeling when you try to play a song like this on your "C" accordion, and it comes so easy to you. As if you had been playing it for decades. You ask yourself, "Why did I avoid this song?" I should have had it in my repertoire all along! Man! I could really impress the chics if I knew how to play and sing this song!

I'll tell you why this song is avoided....because nobody could possibly do it better than Belton. But, you are welcome to try.......notice that if you play along with his singing, you can add in all kinds of tricks and trills that Belton doesn't do because he's too busy singing. Notice how natural the music flows from your finger tips as you easily navigate your way through the song as if you know it by heart and could do it blind folded. Ahhhhhhhh, the poetry.

This is playing by ear at it's best! You cannot play it by the numbers. Why would you even want to?

"C" accordion key of "G"...AKA>>(on the pull) AKA>>(in the fifth).

Re: Lets See If You Have Soul

How bout the Cajun Fugitive? Can you adlib it just as easily with a
"C" accordion key of "G" AKA>>(on the pull)AKA>>(in the fifth)
But wait....Is that a switch to a "D" accordion key of "A" at the end there? LOL, he's not playing the accordion for this one.

And then there's "Je Brailler Pour Toi". (I cried for you.) A little more difficult to play, but the same concept applies. These recordings were done before Belton started to get tricky and started to play and record on odd key accordions, in odd keys of play. Looking to make his mark with his new and original style and sound.

"C" accordion key of "C" AKA>>(on the push) AKA>>(on the one)

Oh! And "I'm Not A Fool" Even harder still to play along with because he's singing in the Key of "D". AKA>>(on the two). I wonder why he's not playing his "C" accordion in the "Blues Key" of "D" on this one?....Hmmmmm. Not a single accordion note, but you can still follow with your "C" accordion if you know how to play in IT'S "Blues Key".

Greezy McGill
How bout the Cajun Fugitive? Can you adlib it just as easily with a
"C" accordion key of "G" AKA>>(on the pull)AKA>>(in the fifth)
But wait....Is that a switch to a "D" accordion key of "A" at the end there? LOL, he's not playing the accordion for this one.

And then there's "Je Brailler Pour Toi". (I cried for you.) A little more difficult to play, but the same concept applies. These recordings were done before Belton started to get tricky and started to play and record on odd key accordions, in odd keys of play. Looking to make his mark with his new and original style and sound.

"C" accordion key of "C" AKA>>(on the push) AKA>>(on the one)

Oh! And "I'm Not A Fool" Even harder still to play along with because he's singing in the Key of "D". AKA>>(on the two). I wonder why he's not playing his "C" accordion in the "Blues Key" of "D" on this one?....Hmmmmm. Not a single accordion note, but you can still follow with your "C" accordion if you know how to play in IT'S "Blues Key".
I see your still at it , eh !!!!

Yes! Beautiful, and simple melodic lines! Easy to play. Hardly any ornamentation or cranky chank going on.
I love this type of Cajun music. Also great vocal lines to accompany the accordion.
You can let your band members play the fancy stuff!

Why yes WilyWonk, I'm still at it. Exposing the tricks of the Master's hands for anyone who is willing to try it, or understand such concepts.

John Morris.....right on brother!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!