Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Gabbanelli King dual key

I have doubts that Gabby has a dual key Cajun stye accordion. I know that for years they have had dual key triple row accordions. My recollection about them is that they were only two reeds banks per key: MM

I just took a quick peek on their website and for the Cajun King, it looks like there is only one style, which is the typical 4 reed, LMMH type. No mention of dual keys option.

But they do have one or more dual key triple rows.

The Cajun King accordion is OK, but not great. Way better than a Hohner Arriette!

One common complaint about the King is that the bass box is too large and clunky - I agree.

When played acoustically, the sound is a little weak compared to a real cajun accordion. That is because the reed blocks are all standing up. But when mic'd it doesn't matter.

They don't do Cajun tuning, which is typical of European made single rows. At least that used to be the case a long time ago. It would be nice if they would use Cajun tuning.

If this is the one, then there's no problem with the Falcon/Heritage six-cilinder two key. Just a lucky shot, I searched earlier, but now it's bulls-eye :joy:

See link#2

Gabbanelli King Cajun 2 tone accordion
Verkocht - Nov 23, 2018, 1:33 PM $740.00
eBay Money Back Guarantee

Verkoper: 2013archangel1 (143) 100%, Objectlocatie: Sugar Land, Texas, Verzending naar: Worldwide, Objectnummer: 372491855580 Condition: Open box, Brand: Gabbanelli, Model: King 1 Row, Type: Button Accordion, Number of Treble Keys: 10, Sub Type: Cajun, Skill Level: Advanced, Register: 4, Country/Region of Manufacture: Italy, Number of Bass Keys: 2

New with Case. Professionally built in Italy, Gabbanelli white Cherrywood King Cajun accordion with 2 keys- B flat and A in one. 2 pull knobs for each key right hand, 1 pull knob to change key on left hand bass side.. Each key plays 3 sets of reeds- High,mid,low octave. Convenient box with 2 keys in one, special ebay deal.

Yeah, that's the one. It says there that it is LMH in the description there, good find

I'm curious how they make the keys B-flat and A with 4 stops at the right side ?
The Falcon have 6 stops and use three of them for key 1 and three of them for key 2 .
That's what I think.

Key A : Notes A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#, and A
Key Bb/A# : Notes Bb, C, D, D#, F, G. A and Bb

It must be magic to get this done ??
Are there some hidden tunnels there to get the air in the right direction ?
Quite genius :blush:

I have a Gabb dual key I bought new from Mike Gabbanelli in Houston in 2011, in C and Bb. White. He put an internal mic set up in it. I have played out on it plenty. Sure I wish I had a couple of Falcons or Heritage brand. List was 1380 with a 400 discount. 195 for an R65 Sure cartridge installed. That mic install is like a battleship. Never ever a problem. I bought it primarily to carry to practice once a week in a studio we used in Manhattan when I lived in NY. It fell off an amp at the studio and the C base reeds were knocked out. It was an easy fix since they were still in the Wood frame holder. Just rewaxed them in.
This is an economical way to go double. With two boxes you could have the equivalent of 4 boxes and cover just about any key.
I have never played it with a clip on mic and always use the internal. Miced they sound terrific. J Paul uses the single keys exclusively.
Now that Randy Falcon has passed used ones are rare and expensive. Over double what they went for new.
Hope this answers your questions. Mike Gabbanelli is a pleasure to deal with and his work is exceptional.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!