Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How do you soften stiff bellows?

hang it in your closet and let the bellows down fully extended. You can use a belt to hang it through the bass strap

great idea Jerry.

Throw it in the fire and buy a cajun built accordion

Sort of a true statement. I've bought four Cajun-built accordions in the past 26 years in my on-again-off-again attempt to learn how to play in the Cajun style. The first, a Martin, had supple bellows. The second, builder's name withheld, had okay bellows. The third, another builder who's name I'll withhold, had terrible bellows! Stiff and unresponsive. My fourth, and last, built by Jude Moreau is a great instrument with supple and responsive bellows and a very fine and sweet sound. I am happy. And, now I am back to learning and actually playing in the Cajun style. Better late than never!

ken

Mais mon RP, you bring me back to my early years with that question about the tight bellows. I think that because it is a Hohner Ariette, the bellows are tight. Those Ariettes are a curse on the unsuspecting and inexperienced would be Cajun accordion player. The fire may be the best place for it. I've owned 5 accordions in my life and I never had a problem with bellows being too tight on them. 3 were Cajun made and 2 were Italian made(gabbi's) I'm wondering if the two holes that let the air flow from the bellows compartment to the reed compartments are too small on an Ariette?? When you play any accordion, you have to use that air regulator button on the back of the bass block. It is an absolute must. Try working on that before you start pulling the living hell out of them bellows trying to make them loose. You don't want to weaken the cardboard corners or they will start to leak way before there time. Try to appreciate the tightness. I have played on a few accordions that the bellows were way too loose. Like $20 w.h.o.r.e.s they were.
And then there's that other thing....the bellows are the short bellows type, then the solution is to get new bellows. Short bellows tend to be a lot tighter for the player. Got dam things don't have no extension give! I don't even know why they would make short bellows. If you don't understand...go buy one of them gas station toy accordions for $20 and play on it. You'll see what I mean by bellows being way too short and hard on the accordion player.

greeze,

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!