Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cajun accordion tuning

The way I understand Cajun accordion tuning is that the accordion is tuned to just intonation instead of the generally used equal temperament and that the thirds (E's and B's) are tuned flat anywhere from 10 cents to 15 cents. Also, sometimes the fourth (F's) are tuned sharp.

Anyone have any more specific information regarding tuning or a link to a site explaining the specific tuning pattern?

Thanks for your help.

ken

Re: Cajun accordion tuning

You've pretty much said it all. 15 cents seems to be the norm. 4th's seem to be fairly unpopular.

I think Junior Martin sharps the 4ths and Marc Savoy does not. Not sure what other makers do.

What I've been doing on the last few is the 3rd's and 7th's tuned 14 cents flat, the 4ths tuned 10 cents sharp. I've heard the reasoning in not sharpening the 4ths is for those who like to play in F (on a C) with accompaniment, so it doesn't sound to off. I like the 4th chord, so I tune 10 cents sharp with the thought that maybe that will sound less "off" in the rare times I play that key with accompaniment. Everything in diatonic accordions is a compromise

Are you and your family alright ?
I was searching for this, because you wrote that long ago too on this forum (I thought) , but couldn't find it. :wink:

Thanks to Bryan and all for your replies. I am having an octave harmonica retuned to Cajun single row button accordion tuning. I’ll let you know how it sounds.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!