Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Le Charivari - Marion Marcotte

See if any of these make sense:

Marcellus Augustin

la fille à Cousine Nenette

Et si les nouveaux mariés INVITE pas le monde de rentrer, le monde va les venir le long au soir (LENDEMAIN SOIR)

la hanche gauche (the left hip)

Neal, thank you!

1. Marcellus - I think you are absolutely correct. In pt., 2, Leroy Martin addresses him by his first name (Marcelus) and I was hearing that incorrectly as “Mr. Louis” (which made it seem like Marcotte had forgotten the name of the character mid-story). So your suggestion makes sense and clears this problem up, thanks.

2. la fille à cousine Annette (or cousine Nenette) - exactly, that’s it! My brain was stuck in a rut. Thanks!

3. Re: Annette vs. Nenette. Same difference? When the A in Annette is wedged between two strong syllables [couSINE and aNETTE), the full vowell “A” can reduce to a “shewah” (the term used in phonetic spelling to describe a half-pronounced vowel). I guess it’s better to write it out as Nennette if that is more common (like saying “Nonc Raggaux” instead of Oncle Raggaux).

4. Et si les nouveaux mariés INVITE pas le monde de rentrer... Yes, that makes sense - I agree. In listening, I knew that Marcotte was talking about not letting the guests. But as a result my brain supplied the verb “evider.” But the verb is already negated (pas), so it has to be “invite pas” (not evide).

3. Hanche gauche - left hip. Thanks, agreed - I should have caught that.

4. Lendemain soir: My brain expects to hear “Lendemain [nasal ending to word] soir,” or “lendemai[] = strong ‘ay’ sound) soir, or lendema [..] à soir] (where the a sound blurs together. But I am hearing “au soir” at the end so I thought I was hearing “le long au soir” [throughout the night]. I’ll relisten in a few days to reevaluate with a fresh ear. And if some people commonly say “lendeman au soir,” that must be the answer.

PS In working on Le Charivari pt.2, I finally figured out that Marcotte is not saying that [Marcellus] is looking [‘garde] under the light of the moon. He is saying that Marcellus is coming out onto the GALERIE (porch). I’ll make that correction in a day or two, as well as incorporate your suggestions, and repost. Thanks again for reading and taking the time to respond with suggestions/corrections.

After incorporating some corrections from Neal, I went through the audio again and figured out some other corrections. This needs more work but it’s getting closer (see revised transcription, below):

Le Charivari - pt. 1

Mes amis, j’amerais vous raconter un autre de mes histoires qui m’a arrivé, quand j’avais été au charivari à M. LaSalle Dusté, quand il a marié Annette, la fille á cousine Annette.

*My friends, I’d like to tell you another of stories that happened tome, when I went to the charivari for Mr. Marcellus Augustin, when he married Anette, the daughter of cousin Annette.

Que tonnerre m’écrase! Ça c’ét[ait] ap[rès] appelles le plus gros [haï temp ?? haï, donc, this sounds like the words ‘high dawn’ in English) et le plus gros sassaqua que j’av[ais] vu dans ma vie!

*I’ll be d*mned! That is being called the biggest [hateful time], well, and the biggest commotion that I ever saw in my life!

Mais avant je vas plus loin, mes amis, j’amerais vous laisser savoir que ça on appelle un charivari, c’est quand une veuve ou un veuf se remarie pour la deuxième fois. Et marie quelqu’un qu’a jamais [é]tait mari avant. Le premier soir du mariage, le monde en voisinage se rassemble devant la porte de cour des nouveaux mariés, et ça commence à amener du train quand se débarquait de [lame de disque].

*But before I go farther, my friends, I’d like to let you know that what they call a charivari, that’s when a widower or a widow is married for the second time. And marries someone who has never been married before. The first night of the marriage, people in the neighborhood get together in front of the yard gate of the newly-weds, and they begin to make a lot of noise when they get off the [disc blade -i.e, of a tractor?).

Et ça écrit: “Charivari!” et voilà, à porte des nouveaux mariés, jusqu’à les nouveaux mariés invite le monde à rentrer.

*And they cry out, “Charivari!” And there you see, at the door of the newlyweds, until the newlyweds invite people to come in.

Et si les nouveaux mariés évide pas le monde de rentrer, le monde va les venir lendemain au soir, et tout le soirs après ça, devant la porte de cour amener du train, jusqu’à ils s’invitaient pour rentrer dans la maison des nouveaux mariés. C’est ça, on appelle un charivari.

* And if the newly-weds don’t invite the people to come in, the people will come the next night, and every evening after that, in front of the yard gate to raise a ruckus, until they were invited to come into the house of the newly-weds. That’s what they call a “charivari.”

Ce-soir-là, quand j’avais ét[é] au charivari à Marcellus Augustin, et à Annette, la fille à cousine Annette, .... quand arrivé devant la porte de cour à M. LaSalle, il n’a quelqu’un qui écrit, “Charivari!,” et un autre qui repond, “pour qui?”

*That evening, when I had gone to the charivari of Marcellus Augustin, there was someone who cries out, “Charivari!,” and another who answers, “For whom?”

Ce-là c’est le malfacteur Leroy Martin, il repond: “Içi pour la chatte et le matou, qui donne baril!”

*It’s that ne’er-do-well Leroy Martin, who answers, “Here for the she-cat & tomcat who are giving a barrel [e.g., of beer, booze, etc.; i.e., to the people who pay them a visit that night....]

Au même temps M. LaSalle reste à porte de maison. Il a sorti sur la galerie devant en clair de lune avec sa nouvelle femme Annette, il là, il est à brasse-corps. Il nous dit, il dit “Viens entrer, mes amis! Ça me donne un gros plaisir de vous présenter mon cher ‘tit gratin, Annette.

*At that same time, Mr. LaSalle is staying at the door of his house. He comes out onto the front porch in the moonlight with his new wife, Annette. He, he has his arms around her. He says to us, he says, “Come in, my friends! It gives me great pleasure to present my dear little cracklin’, Annette.

Elle [est] aussi tendres, la rosette de mes yeux de [photo?]. Celle-là Messrs., le sais-tu mais ici ma nouvelle femme Annette.

*She is so tender, the apple [rose] of my eyes {??]. She, gentlemen, you should know that this here is my wife Annette.

Et il’a foutû une ‘tite tappe sur la hanche gauche. Pow! Et il’a pincé par en dessous.

*And he gave her a little tap on her left hip. Pow! Et he pinched her down below.

Annette a mouvé sa jambe d’un bord, mais comme une vache qu’est après fait à pied. Elle fait, “Oww!”

*Annette moved her leg aside, well, like a cow that’s being kicked. She goes, “Oww!”

“Ah, sais-tu M. Marcelus, celà [est] enough! Ee Hee hee hee.”

* “Mr. Marcellus, that’s enough! Hee hee hee.”

Elle dit, “Fais pas ça, boulet! Ah, ça m’a foutu une bless[ure], par en dessous comme ça.
Il m’a donné un frisson à Sept-Îles en bas!”

*She says, “Don’t do that, bully! That gave me mark down there like that. It gave me a deep Seven-Island chill!” [note: this is a region in Quebec; it is no doubt colder there.... - Marcotte makes a Sept-Îles reference in another tale, if I remember correctly...].

Marcellus ergardait [=regardait] un oeil d’amer en biais. Il a souri. Il a fait des grimaces, mais comme un mulet qu’est après manger des éronces.

Mr. LeSalle looked across at her with a stern glance. He smiled. He made some grimaces, well, like a mule that’s eating some briars (prickly branches, etc.)

Il a reniflé, il fait [sniffing noise] .... il fait, “Yaille, ye yaille, ye yaille! Toi, chère, quitte à attendre!”, dit ce l’homme gros, et puis, il a mangé de feuilles désséchu.

*He sniffed, he goes, [sniffing noise].... he goes, “Yaille, ye yaille, ye yaille!” You, dear, just you wait!,” says this big man, and then, he ate some dried leaves [note: is this a reference to chewing tobacco, or an idiom?...].

C’est là Marcellus, le sais-tu, mais ci nouvelle femme Annette, qu’il a empoignée de la renversée. Et il l’a embrassé. Yachhh!

This here, gentlemen, you should know, well, that’s his new wife, Annette, whom he spun around. He kissed her. Smack!

Quand il l’embrassait, il sonnait mais, comme… quand il lave la vaisselle, il l’a foutû un autre ‘tite tappe sur la hanche …. Pow!, et il l’a pincé par en dessous encore.

*When he kissed her, it made a sound, well, like... when he washed the dish, he made another little tap on her hip ... Pow!, and he pinched her down below again.

Annette a mouvé sa jambe d’un bord encore, mais comme une vache qu’est après fait un pied, elle fait, “Ow, Ow!”

*Annette moved her leg aside again, well, like a cow that’s being kicked, she goes, “Ow, Ow!”

C’est là ce malfacteur, Leroy Martin, il a passé la remarque, il fait, “Hmmm...,” il dit, “Marcelus, as-tu pincé Annette aussi elle est insensible?”

*That was when the ne’er-do-well, Leroy Martin, made the remark, he goes, “Hmmm....,’ he says, “Marcellus, have you pinched Annette so much that she’s numb [or, unconscious]?”

Que tonnere m’écrase! Ca fait de réellement coup d’oeil voir Marcellus, quand il est sur la galerie devant en clair de lune avec sa nouvelle femme, Annette, la fille à Cousin Annette.

*I’ll be d*mned! That was really a sight to see ... Marcellus, looking at him on the front porch under the moonlight with his new wife, Annette, the daughter of cousin Annette.

The best way to learn the language is to do what your doing. I'll just make a couple points. For transcriptions, a lot of people will right the pronoun "elle" as it is normally spoken. Before a verb/word which starts with a consonant, it is normal to write, "A" and before a vowel, "Alle".

Example: A dit qu'alle était pas là... etc

Here is one phrase that I updated from your transcription:

"A s’est tournée su(r) Marcellus et alle a henni, “Hi hi” A dit, “Fais pas ça Poulet, à chaque fois tu me pinces par en dessous comme ça, tu me donnes un frisson d’la ceinture en bas.”

"She turned to Marcellus and she giggled, "Hi hi hi" She says, "Don't do that Babe. Every time you pinch me down there like that, you give me a shiver below my belt"

Note:
- Most people normally use "avoir" with "se tourner" but I think that Marcotte using "etre" here"
- "Hennir" litterally means "neighed" like a horse. I think marcotte makes the past participle sound more like "Henné"
- I think she is calling him "Poulet" (Chicken). Marcotte's character's often have illusions to animals.

Ted, that clears up some of the audio that I struggled with the most - very helpful, thanks.

Thanks Ted! I agree with your comments!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!