Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Olive Wood Accordion

'tis beautiful! :-)

--Big Nick

Re: Re: Olive Wood Accordion

Yes it is nice. But, I think that perhaps the wood should have been bookmatched if you are gonna do it right. Then there are butt joints everywhere. Oh well! Cest la vie!!

Re: Re: Re: Olive Wood Accordion

Looking forward to seeing some photos of how one is done right.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Olive Wood Accordion

I know Ed miters his corners, but it would be nice to see a box that has the detail you're talking about.

On the teak one I cut out, it would still be hard to bookmatch the pieces, as I cut out some at 1" and others at 1 1/4". To book match, those two pieces should have been cut adjacently, and then had the excess trimmed off.

Live and learn.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Olive Wood Accordion

Yea you right! Would hate to see you waste that olive wood. Go to cajunaccordions.com there you will see matched wood and mitered corners. Just one example, some others do the same.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Olive Wood Accordion

Well Dwight, just look around on the web. Some builders use mitered joints and match the wood across the frames. Things like that show the skill of the builder. Like musicians, some are more skilled that others. No Offense meant to anyone.
I just feel that if you are going to spend that much money on fine wood and stress how beautiful the wood is. But then just put the pieces together in a mixed matched fashion you loose something. Think about it. Take your time with that wood you bought. Do it right. You will be pleased with the results.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Olive Wood Accordion

Well, its too late on that olive wood because it is definitely not bookmatched.

I'm looking at some possible sources for the wood here in California. There's some guy selling branch pieces on eBay, but its green.

Still, I still salivate over Mark's olive wood box.

Re: Re: Re: Olive Wood Accordion

Hey Bill, send me your email address.

Dwight

need help to learn to play accordion

I am 71 years old and tonedeft and i want to learn t
o play the accordion. But I need help. What I did was number the button top to buttom 1 to 10 and a v whjen pushing the bellow and a u when pulling the bellow. for the left hand buttom i use t for top and b for bottum. if someone plays 2 button at sametime i use a+ so anote would look like this v7t u8b etc. the i use2/4 4/4 6/4 8/4 for beats. try this song without left hand. 4/4 v8 u8 v7 u7 u6 u8 v7 u7 v6 u6 u7 v8 u8 v7 v6 u8 v8 u9 v8 u8 v7 v6 u7 u7 v6 . please send me some song writting this way .I am going to Chicago July 5, till Aug5 2007 and would like to have 10 or 15 song to learn on my trip. thank you very much . jerry

Re: Re: Olive Wood Accordion

The photos don't do the box justice. The lighting is too yellow.

Marc,
Thats just about one of the pertiest accordions I've seen to come out of Larry's shop. Larry is not afraid to try some different woods in his work and it sure pays off. He showed me one made from Peach last year. Got the logs of an old Ruston Peach farm in north LA.
Talk about pretty.
Get back down and visit when you get a chance Marc.
Layne Z.

The accordion player for the Cadillacs here in SWLA
has an olive wood Bon Cajun in Bb also.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!