Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: thanks nicole

Yep, this is me!
I picked up the lyrics from Preston Frank's cd.
Glad to help,
Nicole

yes, thank you!

Thanks for the lyrics. I have tried to decipher them before (the waltz) and got stuck on some of the words. It looks like the lyrics are the same as the recording by Lynn August, which is one of my favorite recordings of it.

Thanks again,

David

Re: tante na na??

I'm from Scott LA, and I've heard this song all my life and never understood it or had it explained to me in a way that made sense either.

I don't read or speak French very well, but I understand quite a bit spoken.

Anyway, my Pop used to sing this song, and when I've asked him to explain what it was about he'd only told me it was a man begging for his aunt to come back to him (there were more words in the lyrics I remember, more of a chorus about him crying for his aunt).

Anyway, Pop never could explain to me what the relationshiop was with the aunt, and I used to (to joke with him, just to make fun) call it 'the incest song'.

I think if the full version, the way the people in the country used to sing it made it seem more like that, but I can't remember the details of the words to try to write it down.

Re: Re: tante na na??

There is an older and happy version on Neal’s site that goes like this :
(several times in a different order) :

Un temps mouillasseux
Et la pistache à tante Nana,
C’est ça qu’est si bon
Griller dans le bas du stove,
S’en aller chez nonc (???)
Pour voir la tante Nana
C’est ça qu’est si bon
Et la pistache à tante Nana.

Christian

Re: Re: Re: tante na na??

C'est Nonc 'Tave (for Octave). I love that song. It sure seems to have a phallic conotation in the Roy Fusilier version. I heard that the song originally was "la pistache a trois nanan" (a 3 nut peanut, apparently not common).

Bryan Lafleur

Re: Re: Re: Re: tante na na??

Ouais, c'est pas clair cette affaire !

Merci d'avoir complété (j'aime pas qu'il me manque des mots dans une chanson).

Christian

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!