Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shultze Hits Blockbuster

Some time ago the movie 'Shultze Gets the Blues" was discussed on this forum. As a foreign film (German), it had very limited distribution, so I'm guessing very few of us saw it. A couple weekends ago I discovered a whole shelf full on display at Blockbuster. As long as you are prepared for a foreign film with a leisurely pace, you might enjoy it. If you have time, also check out the director's comments.

Re: Shultze Hits Blockbuster//buy mine except i hated the movie//

someone send me $8, i will send you my
DVD.

man that is one dull movie.

sorry to say it, but unless you like
90 minutes of east german industrial town,
30 minutes of mixed-up
pointless louisiana footage,
1 minute of zydeco force playing at the
rock and bowl, i recommend skipping it.

he is supposed to go to east texas, but they
show bayous that are who knows where,
deserted beach shots, and the rock and
bowl in new orleans.

the one song that schultze keeps playing over
and over, is not played that well. and it;s
on a piano accordion. they never show the actor;s hands on the keys, he;s not playing
it really. which is weird because it;s played
so indifferently.

wle.

Re: Re: Shultze Hits Blockbuster//buy mine except i hated the movie//

I'll buy it. I made myself like the movie in spite of all the things you point out.

Re: Re: Re: Shultze Hits Blockbuster//buy mine except i hated the movie//

I saw "Schultz" also. The story was about change and loss, i.e. his retirement, and renewal, his finding Cajun music. The story line was good but I went expecting more music. It just was not a film about Cajun music.
Leslie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Shultze Hits Blockbuster//buy mine except i hated the movie//

In fact it has nothing to do about Cajun music..it is about ageing, routine, life after retirement, where to regain meaning.. paced in real time. Faces real issues.. about making choices .. and fate. Slow but tasteful.I quite liked it , though can understand how some may hate it.

G.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Shultze Hits Blockbuster//buy mine except i hated the movie//

In fact it has nothing to do about Cajun music..it is about ageing, routine, life after retirement, where to regain meaning.. paced in real time.

..............real.................

.......................slow.................

................................time..............

i like slow artistic movies, in general.

anyway, mr dwight, you are welcome to it!!

wle.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Louisiana Blues

If you buy the DVD above you won't regret it. It's a documentary with a lot of music (mostly zydeco). The interviews are in Cajun French (with English sub-titles).

Christian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Louisiana Blues

Merci Christian for the tip on that DVD. I just ordered a copy. As for Shultze gets the Blues, I loved it and will see it again. When he first hears that Accordion riff on the radio and it changes his life, well, that is it for me. Hasn't that happened to us all at some point. Plus, there is so much going on in that movie that you miss the first time. Shultze is such a nice guy. And he resists the low life rascists and triumphs in his own way. I just wish he had stayed in that dancehall a little longer and waited for the woman to bring him the beer. I guess he should have payed attention in english class when he was in school. Sort of like me. Now I wish I studied my french like I should have instead of buying the english translations so I could pass the courses.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Louisiana Blues

Jean-Pierre Bruneau who made that film is the one who had made the "Haricots Sont Pas Salés" LP in the 70's.

I have not seen "Schultz..." but what you and others have written about it makes me feel like seeing it. Thanks, I have put it on my list for next time I go to my record store.

Christian

Where was the dancehall located?

Hey Braves,
Does anyone know where the dancehall is located, the one that Schulze walked to in the movie?...curious
Mark

Re: Where was the dancehall located?

It's Bourque's Club in Lewisburg, not far from Opelousas.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!