Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Your connections with Acadia - do they still exist?

I would like to know if descendants of the Acadian people in Louisiana, deported by the British in 1755,
still have any connection with the Acadians especially in the Provinces of New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, Canada. Do you have friends or relatives here? Do you ever talk about this place? Sing Acadian songs? Or has the separation be too long and there's really not much connection any more? (I live in the heart of Acadian country in New Brunswick. Although not of Acadian background, all my friends are Acadian, I play my music to Acadian people, etc.) In recent years, Cajun bands are showing up here much to our enjoyment. Zachary Richard makes frequent appearances. But apart from the professional entertainer or organized governmental events, does the ordinary citizen in LA maintain any sort of a connection with the Acadian people in Eastern Canada? I would like to get your opionions and I hope I've described my point suffiently, with thanks, jcurner.

Re: Your connections with Acadia - do they still exist?

Hey J:
I am an Acadian living in Halifax, Nova Scotia (My did is from Tracadie, Nouveau Brunswick). From our perspective here, there has been more and more contacts initiated at the personal level over the past few years. I believe most of that was initiated with the three Congrès Mondial Acadiens that we've had (Moncton in '94, Louisiana in '99 and Nova Scotia in '05). Every summer, we see bus loads of Cajuns coming here to visit and meet new friends (and distant cousins or visit people that they met during either one of the Congrès. Every summer, when I go to Grand Pré (one of the major sites of the 1755 deportation, and national parc) I meet more Cajuns. It is always amazing how there is so much in common, physically (the families have the same facial caracteristics (i.e. Thibodeau, Arseneault, Savoy, etc.), and a similar Joie de vivre and taste for music. Having said that, I'm not sure to what extend most Cajuns are conscious of their connection with Nova Scotia through their history. I wish they could all visit Grand Pré to get a good appreciation of it. I look forward to reading the answers to your question.
Maz

Re: Re: Your connections with Acadia - do they still exist?

I for one would love to visit Nova Scotia! My first cousin organized the Savoy family reunion.

My family's last name is Pommier but I don't know whether they came to Louisiana through Acadia. There's also a lot of Simon and Landry in my family tree and I think they came through Acadia. That's the pattern in Vermilion parish, which was originally part of Lafayette parish until it became a separate jurisdiction.

Do you know whether Pommier is one of those family names in Nova Scotia? I guess I could go to those many genealogy Web sites but I'm just asking in case you might give me a short cut. Thanks!

Hi Neal . . . I have not heard the family name, Pommier, myself.

I checked with some elderly Acadian people next door and they also say, no.

May be Maz or others reading this could enlighten us.

You bet I'll keep checking and will let you know, J.

Maz, last spring my wife and I visted the Park at Grand Pre, and the new film was really something. No doubt you have seen it. That's the film where the hall is designed like being inside a large sailing ship. (I live in Dieppe.) J.

We Cajuns are estblishing more and more contacts with our cousins up North. I agree that this contact has been fostered through the three Congrès Mondials that have taken place so far. Last year's Congrès had the most influence in establishing the link. The Congress here in 1999 awakened Cajuns interest in the history of our people and in our genealogy. This awakening whetted our appetite for more contact with les Acadiens et Acadiennes du Nord.

Unfortunately though, some still don't have a clue about our epic story, or the connection we have with the peoples of the Maritime Provinces of Canada. I fear that as our culture melts into the great American "Melting Pot", our story will be forgotten more and more by the decendants who live in Louisiana.

On the other hand, thanks to the internet and the communications explosion due to technology, we can make an effort to maintain the connection. It should be interesting to see how things progress in the next few years, especially as we look forward to another "Congrès" in Caraquet in 2009. If God says the same, I'll be there representing!

Làche pas,
Daniel

Re: Re: Your connections with Acadia - do they still exist?

The name Pommier doesn't ring a bell as far as being an Acadian name. It is therefore probably a family line that comes directly from France (region of Poitou-Charentes in particular), like many other names in Louisiana. If you wish to do a little bit of research on Acadian genealogy, visit link #2 above. This site offers several interesting links.

For the ones interested in viewing pictures from the last Congrès acadien in Nova Scotia, visit Link #1. There are dozens of nice pics there to see. Yes, I also look forward to the next Congrès in Caraquet (North East of New Brunswick)in 2009. Hopefully the momentum will keep on building between now and then.

I've also attached the site for Grand Pré at Link #3. The official Parks Canada web site doesn't do justice to the beauty of this site, but it's a start.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!