Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ray Abshire's New Cd

Y'all have to check out Ray Abshire's new cd!!!! I just got a copy of it and I haven't stopped playing it. Talk about traditional Cajun music.....and as a fiddle player, I love Ray's melodic accordion playing.... ....he seems to have a love for the fiddle and it shows in his playing, to my ear......and he surrounds himself with 2 of the best Cajun fiddlers in the universe!!!
You gotta get a copy of it.......The Robert Bertrand Gueydan Waltz is my fave on the CD right now!!
Roger W

Re: Ray Abshire's New Cd

I'm with you - another great CD by Ray. Listen to his take on Eunice Two Step - it seems totally unique and almost unrelated to other versions I've heard. Very cool to hear.

Re: Ray Abshire's New Cd

This new CD is excellent in every way. Andre Michot lays down strong rhythm lines, Courtney Granger sings on 5-6 tunes, Courtney and Kevin share the fiddle role, and Ray's playing radiates energy and passion, likewise his singing. They take Allons a Lafayette out of what I've heard as the traditional key of C and play it in G. Setting that tune in a "pull" key dramatically changes the melodic line and rhythm parts. I've heard zydeco bands cross tunes from a push to a pull key ("Why you wanna make me cry" comes to mind) but I'm not used to hearing a Cajun band try this. And I agree that their version of Eunice is unique, especially Ray's turn. He is the master of flow. Their Acadian Two Step flies!

Re: Re: Ray Abshire's New Cd

Man,

Thanks for the recommendation. Courtney Granger has an outstanding voice. I heard the guy sing at Balfa Camp -- they guy can do Cajun and then switch flawlessly to George Jones.

When is that guy gonna record a new album?

Nick B.

Re: Re: Ray Abshire's New Cd

I believe the original recording of "Allons a Lafayette" was done in the second position ( key of "G" on a "C" accordion. I have heard it played that way before, but not very often.
Jude

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!