Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I finally signed up for Balfa Camp!

allright Maz!!!! Come on down!! plenty to see and do but it sounds as though your itenerary is already pretty full. I hope to be at Balfa also, but have to take a wait and see attitude until Feb. LA Folk Roots gives a certain number of full scholarships to LA residents. I have just completed the application process, which is finalized with an essay outlining your reasons for wanting to learn more about LA heritage/culture/traditions. Recipients are chosen in Feb. 06. If I'm lucky enough to get a spot I'll post my winning essay. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Re: Do's and Don'ts - I finally signed up for Balfa Camp!

Maz,

Great that you signed up. It's a fantastic time.

DO's:

-Rent a car. Outside of NYC and a few other cities, Americans don't ride buses.

-Check out the Blue Moon in Lafayette if you have time. It's a great venue/motel.

-Bring a recording device for the workshops...you won't remember everything once you get home.

-Drink whatever is handed to you by the bonfire, even if it's stale, blueberry wine.

-Be prepared to kill very large spiders, especially the bayou variety, which try to lay eggs in your ear canals while you sleep.

-Beware of the forest -- Last year some nut with a hockey mask killed 4 campgoers, so try not to get too attached to people you meet.

DON'TS:

-Sleep, sobriety, Atkins diet, hitting on the cafeteria girls, getting ticks, going to bed before 4 a.m. etc.

Have fun,

Nick

Re: I finally signed up for Balfa Camp!

Maz,
I can't talk about Balfa camp but I have been a visitor to the area and I agree with Nick that you absolutely will need a car. And you will love having it because there is so much to see that is within a short drive! You can easily visit Eunice, Church Point, Mamou, Opelousas etc. etc. Festival International is wonderful, especially the LA Folks Roots workshops. I don't know how it will be for your, but it was cheaper and easier for me to fly into N.O. and drive a rented car to Lafayette than it was to fly directly to Lafayette, go figure. (Of course that was before Katrina.)
My main reason for writing is to urge you to get ahold of Macon Fry & Julius Posner's CAJUN COUNTRY GUIDE it's chock full of information about places you will want to visit--it's indispensible!!! And take the time to visit historic places like El-Sido's in Lafayette, and Marc Savoy's Saturday jam sessions. Go on a tour of Lake Martin--it will be nesting season then.
There's a tiny town, Arnaudville, which has a little etouffee fest the same weekend as Festival International. I went there last year and saw Geno Delafose--now that was an experience I will never forget. You will want to check out a free weekly paper "Times of Acadiana" (I think?) for listing of clubs etc. Whatever you do, Maz, I know you are going to have a wonderful time! I'm just a visitor, and I'm looking forward to reading suggestions from the locals.

Re: Re: I finally signed up for Balfa Camp!

Thanks to all for your input. Anymore input is still welcome. I am taking note of the Guide and Paper that Claude was referring to. There is indeed a lot to see and do, and as I will only be there for about a week, I am planning on going back afterwards.
I am really hoping to have time to do a little bit of driving around and visit Eunice and Iota (Savoy & Miller) among other interesting spots.
Cheers... Maz

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!