Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Lover's Waltz

well, it's written by jay ungar who wrote ashokan farewell for the civil war series, don't know whether lover's waltz was written specifically for the series, don't think they played it in the series, but i could be wrong.
roger

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lover's Waltz

It was definitely in the series, but you are right, I don't know if it was written for it.

One could say it was popularized by it. :)

DP

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lover's Waltz

I think you mean the tune Ashokan Farewell. They're both by the same two people but I'm pretty sure Ashokan was played alot in the mini series.
John

Re: Re: Lover's Waltz

Yeah, it doesn't quite sound cajun, but its so great.

Re: Re: Re: Lover's Waltz

Some other recordings I know of are:

- Kevin Naquin and the Ossun Playboys on "Au Coup d'Eclair (At the Strike of Lightning)"

- Cajun de la Ruston (a North Louisiana band) on "Some of Ours ... Some of Yours"

- Matthew Courville (a young Cajun accordion player) on "Avec Un Couer Pour Mon Papa"

- Amanda Shaw (a young LA fiddle player) on "I'm Not a Bubble Gum Princess"

If you love this song, you might want to hear the Jay Ungar/Molly Mason album "Lover's Waltz" which opens and closes with two different versions of it. That album also includes "Louisiana Wedding Bells" -- a song written for the wedding of Christine Balfa and Dirk Powell.

Another wonderful version of the song was performed by Jay Ungar and Molly Mason at the tribute for Dewey Balfa in 1992 at the Liberty Theater. I taped that concert when it was broadcast on a local (Washington DC) public television station at least 10 years ago and don't know that it's available for purchase these days.

Re: Lover's Waltz

Lee Benoit also recorded it. Mike Hebert played fiddle. I think that it has become his "title" song. His version is quite good.

Jack Bond

Re: Re: Lover's Waltz

Actually, the song is on Lee benoit's CD titled "Live at Vermilionville." According to the liner notes, his name is Mark, not Mike; and all of this time I thought it was Mike.

Re: Re: Re: Lover's Waltz

yes, i agree lee benoit;s version is good.
that 'live at vermilionville' is a great record.
i am constantly surprised no one raves about it
on this group.
lee also plays 'ashokan farewell' at least live.
that is the song that was all over the 'civil war'
series, which is also being rerun on pbs now.
steve riley changed one of the chords
from the original version, probably the
original one [played on piano and fiddle] is
too chromatic or something. the original has
a spot where you really can;t tell what
chord should go there, it;s suspended or something.

wle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!