Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cajun Accordian

It has been some time since I have been in the forum, the last time in was asking about the kinds of accordians etc as I have still not purchased one, but will in the near future, but I do keep reading about them. I just read somewhere not sure where that the cajun accourdians were going toward making them b flat and not C ...Just wondering if there was anything to that...Which is better of the two...I am just a beginner understand and which one is the used the most and as a beginner which one would purchase. As I am sure I want to have it a long time when I do purchase one...
Thanks
Sid

Re: Cajun Accordian

C accordions are most used by beginners since most all the beginning dvd's and instruction material is in C

Re: Re: Cajun Accordian

Will it be any need to purchase a b flat in the future or can I stick with the C...Just wondering. Do most band used the b flat...just wondering...I know it sounds like a stupid question...But understand I am just a beginner asking question to learn..
Sid

Re: Re: Re: Cajun Accordian

Gigging bands may have 2 or 3 boxes, but C is best to start, for the instruction material and if you go to workshops or jams.

Worth remembering though, that fidlers usually tune down to play with a C box, so , if you think you might play regularly with fidlers in other genres, they may not want to tune down, so D would be a better key.

It just gets worse, Sid, don't it?

BJ

I have to say without a shadow of a doubt to go with a "C" box. "C" boxs are the standard at jam sessions, instructional classes and videos. Nodoubt about it, you want to start off with a "C" box.

Is it possible to chage the C accordian to a b flat one..or get it modified..and not purchase a new one...
Thanks
Sid

P.S. Will stick to the C to learn as I like the tradition accordians..

"Will it be any need to purchase a b flat in the future or can I stick with the C...Just wondering. Do most band used the b flat...just wondering...I know it sounds like a stupid question...But understand I am just a beginner asking question to learn."

I'd have to say no there is no need to purchase a b flat. A "C" is all you need to play traditional Cajun music. Even though a song may have been recorded in a "D" or b flat it can still be played using a "C", it'll just be in a differnt key than the original recording. Now later if you decide you want to expand your horizons then you can move on to a "D" or b flat.

Bb is primarily used for zydeco. C is used for zydeco too. That I know of, there's not much cajun music done with a Bb.

Whoever told you accordions were moving from C to Bb was likely only thinking of one genre, zydeco, and probably confusing zydeco with cajun.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!