Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Guy, Old Question

Well, even a fine Jude Moreau, Martin, Larry Miller, or Savoy accordion probably won't cost as much as you laid out for your Uilleann pipes!

And if you can play those pipes, you are up to the challenge of the diatonic one-row, although you will have to learn to balance your dreams on a moving column of air....

OK...getting deep here.

If you get a nice Louisiana accordion, it will feel right and sound right and inspire your playing. You can buy an Ariette for $300 and wind up selling it for $150. Or you can spend $1,100 to $1,600 +/- on a Cajun accordion. If you sell the Cajun accordion, you'll get back all but around $300 of the price.

Where do you live? I'm still the best Cajun-style accordion player in Madison County, New York, as far as I know. But it wouldn't take much of a box-slinger to knock me off my pedestal!

Stevie Blue Blais
Eaton, New York

Re: Re: New Guy, Old Question

A good set of uilleann pipes will spoil you in that you know instruments made good play good and those made poorly just don'y play. Good instruments do cost. As one guy said "If you buy quality you only cry once".

I'm in South Carolina and there's little Cajun and little Irish here too, but that's starting to change.

A big thanks to all that have replied to my question, I do appreciate your help.

.... Ed

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!