Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: live vrs. studio - an idea that worked for me

Hi David,
thanks for the offer on the lyrics of barres de la prison. I know two verses as of now, and have two more to memorize from the "white book" (ann savoy)
I took up fiddle too, and this was one of the tunes that inspired me to play fiddle. I perform this tune now on fiddle with vocals. Lovvvve it.

I have made up some lyrics and I'm going to a French teacher to get help with decyphering more of the "crying waltz"

so far I'm using (ignore my made up spelling)

oooooh tit monde....
fait brailler toul le soir
fait brailer toul le jour

I think we have alot in common. It would be great to visit with you someday. I'll be in LA for Mardi Gras up in Eunice and the general Lafayette area. You gonna go? Also go to Augusta every ;year.
Kirk

Re: Re: Re: live vrs. studio - an idea that worked for me

Kirk,

Yeah, it would be cool to hook up some time. I won't be in LA for Mardi Gras, but I am overdue to make the trip! I have never been to Augusta, but I sure would like to go.

If you are ever in S. Cal., you are more than welcome to stop by! If you were to come in the spring time, you could help yourself to some of our navel oranges. They say that the navals in our general area are the best in the world, and somehow our little orchard has some of the best in our area.

Later,
David

Re: Band names?

Dwight's Magic Five (like Boozoo's Magic Sounds)

Re: Re: Band names?

"Les Grosse Erreurs" is the most descriptive so far.

Re: Re: Re: Band names?

I liked the name Sampy and the Bad Habits. Actually, in Cajun it was Les Vilaine Manieres, which more literally means "the ugly ways."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Band names?

Folse Potts daughter used to have a band called "Candy Cotton and the Bad Habits". They were in Raceland, about 12 miles from Houma.

Never saw the band, just the equipment trailer parked in their yard. She was kinda cute from what I remember.

Houma Zoomaz
Tchoupitoulas Zokettouyas
Crawfish of Wrath
Raging Crawfish
Dwightning Zydeco
Dwightning Blues Howlers
California Zydeco Foundlings
Hi-popalorum (in memory of Huey P. Long)
Dwight and the California Red-hots (nah)
Gitchee Nutria
Dwight and the California Gators (just to bug David)
Banded Swamp Rats
Yo Zydeco
Lowground Runaways

Our accordion player was founder member of.......

"Five Pronged Pick"

Geoff

That last one has potential. Sorta autobiographical.

5 Pong ***** sounds like some kind of Thai dish

I might license the one I used 2 years ago at, Augusta, the "Too Old to Playboys." Or the only bayou one I like, "Dwight and Bayou Se'F."

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Band names?

Our only hit will be "You Dwight up my Life".

I was casting around for band names recently, and we settled on Bon Chance Cajun Band. During the process, I stumbled on this funny website from MIT:

http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~bwhitman/10000.html

This is a list of "Ten Thousand Statistically Grammar-Average Fake Band Names" created as part of a research project. Kind of a 1000 monkeys typing exercise.

Dwight, I think we met at Augusta this summer. I was there for only the second time since 1998. I traveled down with Betsy (Terr) Fuller, my girlfriend. She's the guitarist in Bon Chance. We've morphed from a trio to a 6-piece with the addition of fiddle no. 2, acoustic bass, and triangle. Betsy's doing an awesome job of keeping us in the Cajun music tradition, writing great set lists loaded with waltzes. She and the fiddlers are the singers, too. She sends her regards.

I think I remember meeting you too, but am spacing on putting a face to the name.

I do remember Betsy as we communicated a bit by email before being in the same class last year.

How's her fiddling going? What are you playing?

I'll check that site out.

Betsy's been working on some Cajun fiddle tunes, but time is limited and she's been pouring most of her musical energy into guitar. Here's our set-ready tune list: Ossun Two-Step, Lacassine Special, Reno Waltz, Amede Two-Step, Madelaine, Newport Waltz, Bee de la Manche, Valse Criminelle, Sur la Courtableu, Jai Passe, Acadian Two Step, Quo Faire, Jolie Blonde, Reel de Nonc Will, Catch My Hat, Oberlin Waltz, Dance Carre, Parlez-nous a boire, Valse de Marie, Fifi Poncho, McGee One-Step, Chere Bassette, Tit Galop, Eunice Two Step, Cherokee Waltz/Midland Two-Step, Chopique, Bayou Teche Waltz, Lake Arthur Stomp, Allons a Lafayette, Grand Bois, Jolie Bassette, Blue Runner, Chez Seychelles, Madame Bosso, Bonsoir Moreau, and Flames D'Enfer. We're working on doubling it so we can play dances here in Upstate New York. There are dance communities in Rochester, Ithaca, and Albany with several more scattered around New England. I never cease to be amazed at the many levels of musicality in Cajun music. It's a joy to be able to place these songs with like-minded musicians.

hi russ....
where y'all located? we play traditional cajun music as a duo, guitar and fiddle, down here in the mid-hudson valley. maybe our paths will cross sometime....
roger
www.cleomasghost.com

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Band names?

Roger, we're from the Rochester NY area. Betsy's been around Cajun music since her teen years. Her brothers are Charlie and John Terr (who with Charlie's wife Lynne Terr, organize the Augusta Cajun/Creole Heritage Week), and she's been connecting with Cajun musicians at Augusta and at Charlie's place in Chicago for many years. I fell in love with this music at festivals, and have been playing accordion since 1995, first with Chanka Chank, then with the Swamp Padres (both defunct). Bon Chance Cajun Band started earlier this year, and I've also started RedLine Zydeco, which made a successful debut this month. My rehearsals for these two bands are back to back (Wed, Thu) and every week, I'm learning how large the gulf is between the accordion styles. I've heard of Cleoma's Ghost (what a great name), and would love to meet and play together. Do you know Chris Woods (Slawinski)? She's tight with Betsy, and we've played tunes together up here a couple times this year.

I play a few of those, though at a simple level: Ossun, Lacassine, Madeleine, Jolie Bassette.

Shoot, sounds like you've got two hours of music there already.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!