Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pinstripe on the corners

I believe that the old " Monark and Sterling" accordions , and other "brands " like the "Beaver brand" and so on,precursors of the modern cajun accordions were adorned with such motifs.
It could have been marc Savoy, who started his career as a builder of accordeons, repairing these boxes,who might have started the trend.

C.

Re: Re: Pinstripe on the corners

Claude wrote:
"It could have been marc Savoy, who started his career as a builder of accordeons..."

Yikes, Claude, that's a bit harsh -- kind of like saying that Messervier doesn't build accordions anymore just because his son does a lot of the work...

It's from the old Sterlings and Monarchs etc. I have an old Joe Bonsall album with Joe holding a sterling with the standard engravings we still see on most modern accordions

You know Andy,I remember seeing in my younger days,and still do occasionally and correct me if I'm wrong,and I know you will,:)lots of very similar "designs" adorning corners of publications,books,or magazines,as they were used in a frame like "purpose", that is at the the top or all the four corners of a page or the cover of a book, or as in the case of a cajun accordeon, on all corners of both end plates.
And to me looking at theses decorations is similar as to look at something "period" or historical if you wish, and that's satisfying.
They are of course Art Nouveau in style.
But I don't think that they can be called "PinStripes"
though. .

C.

Re: Re: Re: Pinstripe on the corners

Salut Claude,
There are still a few "métro" entrances in Paris that have been kept as they were in the 1900's (link). They have their charm.

Christian

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pinstripe on the corners

Salut mon vieux,

As you know, I'm originally from France, Paris to be exact!!!, and I was thinking, were I had seen these decorations before, no wonder .
I also could have added , in my post that Architecture was one of the many other avenues were this type of banners(?), or guirlandes(?) were used.
I also took the liberty of adding another link.

Merci for the link, et joyeux Noel.

BTW, are you in touch with Gerard Dole at all?.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pinstripe on the corners

Good site. Those who hate that style call it "style nouilles" (noodles style).

No I don't know him personally. Here is his website :

http://mapage.noos.fr/gerard.dole/index.html

Bonnes fêtes de fin d'année à toi aussi.

Christian

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Salut mon vieux,

As you know, I'm originally from France, Paris to be exact!!!, and I was thinking, were I had seen these decorations before, no wonder .
I also could have added , in my post that Architecture was one of the many other avenues were this type of banners(?), or guirlandes(?) were used.
I also took the liberty of adding another link.

Merci for the link, et joyeux Noel.

BTW, are you in touch with Gerard Dole at all?.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Pinstripe on the corners

Hi Claude,

I agree, they are historical -- art nouveau, just like you say -- and probably date back to times before any Cajuns knew what an accordion was!

I also agree that they are not 'pinstripes.'

If you look at ca. 1900 accordions, you see a lot of variations, and some that are much "finer" looking. Marcel Messervier Jr. has done a fine job in making his version of these finer decorations -- complete with naked nymphs!

-Andy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Pinstripe on the corners

Andy,

Naked Nymphs in La Belle Province, oh Heresy, oh sacrilege .
But it's true that the clergy, doesn't have it's original stangle-hold over the general "population" anymore, thank God.
Do you have pictures of Messervier Junior's handywork?.

Claude.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pinstripe on the corners

Hi Claude,

No, I don't have a picture of the Nymphs! Messervier Jr. was doing various designs, using a computer and making black decals that contrast with the light wood of the faceplates. The nymphs -- well, I don't know that they are really nymphs, it just fits the art nouveau theme, they might as well be called "naked ladies" -- were on a box that he made around 2002.

I've got some pics of Messervier boxes, but none that are close-up enough to see the patterns clearly. Anyone who wants to see one, BTW, can send me an email off-list.
Cheers,
Andy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Pinstripe on the corners

Hey Andy, here is a nymph for Claude :

http://lartnouveau.com/oeuvres/mucha/affiches_mucha/sal2.htm

Christian

...leave it to a bunch of accordion players to start a discussion of horses and end up talking about camels...

Thanks, Mike for stopping these two scoundrels .

Claude.

Just a reminder, here was your question:
"Does this pattern signify something? Historical? Traditional?"

Same style, but used in an original way for this builder in the Netherlands.

Christian

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!