Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
You might as well bite the bullet.

You might as well bite the bullet and spend some time rote memorizing the pronunciation rules. It seems to me that this is the first and most critical step in this process, and anything else is a waste of time until you have mastered that.

Fortunately, the rules of pronunciation in French and Louisiana French are quite similar, and are in general much simpler and more regular than English. Spanish is easier though.

I don't think there is really any alternative at this point. If you are focussing mainly on Cajun and Zydeco songs, it would not be particularly helpful to rely on any Standard French dictionaries as that will throw you off just enough to be annoying.

-David

Re: You might as well bite the bullet.

Standard French and Cajun doesnt seem to similar to me. I have the Rev Daigle Self Taught book, he does have some good pronounciation guides in it.

On top of it all, the pronounciations change a little area to area, though Cajun French does share some common rules, for example in "tre" or "dre" endings, the "re" is not pronounced unless followed by a vowel or silent consonant. And Cajun French seems to eliminate as many vowels as possible in pronounciating, such as "je te.." becomes "j't'..".

Re: I can't believe this crap

Don't forget this ressource. It has been enriched and contains more and more words with their pronunciation.

Christian

Re: Re: I can't believe this crap

Yeah, I found that one in a search when I was trying to put useful stuff on my lyrics site. It is somewhat more useful than the dictionary.

Thanks.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!