Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Speed / keyboard drumbeat

i've got a little korg metronome that does the same thing. However, it seems to take the distance between two distinct beats rather than averaging over a few. Makes it a little hard to zero in.

Re: How many of you use drum machines when you practice?

I use a drum machine on live performances.
When we play with just the three of us ( accordion, fiddle, guitar ) we use the drum machine.
Jude

Any recommendations on a simple to use, inexpensive drum machine that will allow easy programming of waltz & 2-step beats? We have an old Boss 505 that is so complex to program that it sits in a cabinet drawer unused....

Re: Re: How many of you use drum machines when you practice?

I practice a lot with a drum machine and have also used it playing out with the Bluegrass Band when we do some cajun and Zydeco. First, it will really help you improve and cleanup any timing problems. Secondly, if I can program a Boss 505 believe me anyone can. Just work your way through the instructions and keep it simple. I put in a double clutch Zydeco beat and a waltz and use them all the time. I put in the double kick and the snare and it works fine to practice Zydeco. Same with the waltz; just a bass on the one and snare on two and three. Very simple and sparse but that's all you need.

Drum machines and metronomes a very valuable tools; but the one thing -- the *one* thing -- that will improve your timing is your left hand. (Assuming all of us play right-handed; yes, Lil Guyland Leday is excused ;) Play them frogs. Play 'em till you get 'em down pat. When you do, the right hand will fall into place and accelerate your learning. I'm still trying to get 'em down. It ain't easy and it can be frustrating. Don't give up.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!