Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: where you been??

Hey Griff,
Several things... still working some tunes on the Creole side of matters.
Also, I am still doing some of the stuff that Steve Riley cranked out on that live CD in Bb and plugged into my thinking from a few years back... over and over it is still some wizzardry playing that moves me by this artist... and well I do love the Bb sound and feel. I have always enjoyed the Mamou Playboys three part harmony, it is a listening treat on the vocal end of matters while squeezing out the traditional style that they can play very well when Not kicking it with a contemporary twist.

But since Augusta, I guess have been very moved by the Creole artistry of Goldman Thibodeaux. It takes me back some. Nothing lavish as such, just good fun stuff, if ya know what I mean. We all know how syncopated and intricate Creole style can be.
Jolie Catin, Jolie Bassette, La Valse De La Prison and more... Amede' sorta came home in some ways at a time when it could have only been a Creole that inspired me... Mr. Goldman was a dandy find for me looking for instruction, what a great guy and his wife is as charming as can be.

Some good things happened (for me last summer) at Augusta, at a time when it seemed sorta bleek. Mr. Goldman sorta sensed it and set out to resurrect me through some old time stuff. It was what I needed, to keep plugging along and enjoying the accordion... it was magical and wound up us becoming a good friendship as a result.

Not all Creole mind you... there was also Mr. Harry Trahan. Honest to Pete Griff, I just dont know why it seems to be the old timers that have a way of touching my music and keep me forging forward.
Truth be known, as I was at Gribble Hall speaking with Ed Poullard (we were listening to Mr. Harry on accordion outside) I told him how much I enjoyed the sound of Mr. H.'s accordion, it sounded slightly wet (and it was)! I went on to have Jude work on my C box for a slight wet and it is fun to play and inspires me to evolve from miserable playing to ... well you know, somewhat easier to listen to HA.
So I went to the Dance is on the music card as well.
I am enjoying my new music room and getting more time to play now. Was doing a gob of remodeling since summer and the music room is a by-product of that activity, it is accordion friendly Ha... a good retreat and it gives Linda her space with out listening to my squeezing.

Griff you asked a simple question and got six months of activity in a book... You doing ok?

Dave

practice only makes it permanent...

Perfect practice makes it perfect...

Nonc;

Thanks for mentioning Goldman Thibodeaux... the disc he did with Mr. Carrier is one of the real treasures in my CD collection. As soon as I complete this self-imposed exile to reconnect on the basics ( sort of the equivalent in football to the two-aday drills) I will first thing pull out that disc and play along.

Dave I'll send you a note off-line soon.
Peace,
Griff

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!