Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Your musical discoveries this year?

Cajun Honky Tonk

Since I moved back to Lousiana, Opelousas to be exact, I got heavy into Cajun music. One of FAVORITE CDs is the Arhoolie Cajun Honky Tonk. This is the Khoury's records compilation from 1949-late 50s. There's alot of familiar favorites, early Lawrence Walker (including the crying Evangeline Waltz), early Nathan Abshire (Crying Pine Grove Blues, he bawls after every chorus). But there's some early Dewey Balfa, Harry Choates (eh ha ha), Marie Falcon (she sings a French version of Wild Side Of Life in a June Carter-like voice). The real gems were two songs by The Texas Melody Boys. These guys sound like they drank a pot of Mellow Joy coffee each and it shows. They run through their two songs like a runaway train with various "a-eee"'s and "eh haha"'s. The most interesting sound is the accordion. I have NO idea what he's playing other than it's a wet-tuned box that's out of tune.

Another great CD is Floyd's Early Singles on ACE. This picks up in the late 50s in the beginning of the good dancehall band sound. There's some Lawrence, Aldus Roger, lots of Austin Pitre and a bunch from the Rambling Aces . Now THAT's music.

Dear Swallow Records, please put out a Joe Bonsall and the Orange Playboys compilation? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Your musical discoveries this year?

Forgot to mention Wayne Toups's Little Wooden Box CD. ROCKIN'

Re: Re: Re: Re: Your musical discoveries this year?

Someone just lent me a home compilation. One track is by 'Captain Gumbo' The title is given here as 'Cajun Rock', but that may well be the title of the album it comes from, as it's a rockin' version of Diggy Liggy Lo. Anybody know this band? They strike me as a good intro to Cajun for folks who think rock is the only music.

BJ

Cajun Honky Tonk and Floyd's Early Singles

Both great albums!

On Cajun Honkty Tonk I especially like Will Kegley doing Lawtell Two Step and Shuk Richard with Marie Falcon doing Madame Entelle (Give Her to Me)! Best versions I have heard.

Re: Cajun Honky Tonk and Floyd's Early Singles

Neal, do you happen to have the Old-Timey LP, The Early Cajun Years (or something like that)? It has the comedy record "Mayor Of Bayou Pom Pom" sides 1 & 2. I heard this a long time ago and I'm trying to find it again.

Thanks.

Inspiration, my muse

This year a whole lot of my inspiration has come from the most wonderful person I know. She plays classical and Irish fiddle, she makes me laugh, she's intelligent, beautiful and more.

So close, yet so far.

Re: Your musical discoveries this year?

Two artist... Mr. Walter Mouton and Mr. Jimmy Breaux. They are clearly a standard to measure by.

Re: Your musical discoveries this year?

I discovered Gerard Dole's Francadian songs lately on:

http://gerarddole.free.fr

I love them all

Dennis

Who could tell me more about Mr Dole ? Where can I buy his records ?

Re: Re: Your musical discoveries this year?

Gerard Dole is from France. He recorded five LPs for Folkways. If I'm not mistaken, the original Folkways was owned by Moses Asch. Somewhere along the way, he donated his entire collection to the Smithsonian with the provision that all of the recordings, no matter how limited, would be available for purchase from Smithsonian Folkways.

I believe that Gerard Dole was also involved with a number of additional Cajun recordings for Folkways. They are really quite good. You can order all of them from Folkways. They may cost a little more (not too much more) because for most of them, they have to make you copies; but they are of very good quality.

Gerard Dole also made a field recording with Moise Robin that I'm pretty sure that you can purchase from somewhere in Europe. I was looking for it a couple of years ago and could not find it anywhere; so I contacted him. He told me where I could purchase it in Europe, and I did.

If you are interested in other kind of music, Smithsonian Folkways also has more great recordings. I just bought a recording by Tommy Jarrell, Frank Bode, and Paul Brown (You can listen to him on NPR most every day after Pete Bergeron's radio program on KRVS.) that is terrific. I also bought another CD by the late Gordon Tanner, the son of Gid Tanner (One of the original Skillet Lickers). Really rare stuff!

Anyway, I gave the Folkways website above.

Good luck.

Jack Bond

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!