Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Another one of my recordings (tell me when to stop)

Hey, don't stop.....can you do a solo version of Eunice 2 step?
I've been trying to learn that tune for months....

Re: Re: Another one of my recordings (tell me when to stop)

i enjoy listening to them jim...how long you been playing?

Don't stop on our account!

Jim,

Your stuff is great - put it all up! I can't imagine anyone would object, but if for some reason they did, they can take the standard internet advice of "No likey, no clicky"!

While you are about it, could you tell us a bit about how long you have been playing and how your learned?

Thanks,
David

Re: Don't stop on our account!

Well, it's kind of a long story how I got into playing Cajun accordion. I always played guitar through my teens, mostly noisy crap.

In 2001 I bought a piano accordion and made myself learn it by ear and watching. I was inspired by a band called The Pogues. They did alot of Irish music among other styles. I was playing tunes I knew by this band on the piano accordion in a few months. At times they also had a Cajun t

After playing the piano accordion for a year, in 2002 I recalled a movie I had seen when I was 9 years old, Southern Comfort. Being 9 years old, I thought that movie was one of the coolest movies ever.

I also remember that crazy music I had heard at the end and the guy with the neat accordion (Marc Savoy). I went out and bought the movie to listen to those Cajun songs and watched the credits to find out who the accordion player was. I looked up Marc and decided right then and there I was going to buy one of his accordions and learn.

I've been playing for almost 4 years and have learned alot from videos and teachers from Augusta week. But for the most part, my learning has come from listening and practicing every day. I don't even see it as practice anymore. I see playing as some sort of natural function, like taking a crap or peeing. Actually that's a crude way of putting it, it's like clockwork, I mean

Also one thing that helped me play was buying some mid-grade accordions in addition to my handmades. Once I got better at playing my Acadians and Martin I frequently switch to using my cheaper accordions, which are harder to play. When I get back on my handmades I feel a great improvement.

Anyhoo, my main inspirations are Marc and Wilson Savoy, Amadee Ardoin, Iry Legeune, Joe Falcon, etc. Too many to list.

I'm also doing an Irish pub band right now, playing piano accordion and tin whistle.

Anyway, I'll stop blabbing, that's pretty much my story.

Re: Another one of my recordings (tell me when to stop)

Two tumbs up Jim!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!