Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: booking agency and self-booking

This is one of those deals where you have to pick your poison. I've been on both sides - getting gigs and hiring bands. I'd rather deal directly with a band if at all possible, mainly because agents have their own agenda (not neccessarilly bad) but isn't always in the best interest of the band. Overpricing, for instance, or bizarro riders. Things the bands sometimes aren't even aware of. At the other end of the spectrum, there are venues that only deal with agents. One call for all their needs, no billions of promo paks and phone calls.
If someone in a band or a close friend can handle the business end, at least you've got control over things. If you need an agent, take extra time to see what is offered, what is expected of you. I remember (way back in another life) I passed up a real gem of a contract with an agent. He could renew indefinitely. Undefined expenses off of gross. Couldn't perform within a 100 mile area for a year if I wanted out of the contract. A lot of stuff that probably wouldn't hold up in court, but the time and expense would drag ya down anyway.
A lot to weigh. Nothing's easy.
-Steve

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!