Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Your musical discoveries this year?

Gerard Dole is from France. He recorded five LPs for Folkways. If I'm not mistaken, the original Folkways was owned by Moses Asch. Somewhere along the way, he donated his entire collection to the Smithsonian with the provision that all of the recordings, no matter how limited, would be available for purchase from Smithsonian Folkways.

I believe that Gerard Dole was also involved with a number of additional Cajun recordings for Folkways. They are really quite good. You can order all of them from Folkways. They may cost a little more (not too much more) because for most of them, they have to make you copies; but they are of very good quality.

Gerard Dole also made a field recording with Moise Robin that I'm pretty sure that you can purchase from somewhere in Europe. I was looking for it a couple of years ago and could not find it anywhere; so I contacted him. He told me where I could purchase it in Europe, and I did.

If you are interested in other kind of music, Smithsonian Folkways also has more great recordings. I just bought a recording by Tommy Jarrell, Frank Bode, and Paul Brown (You can listen to him on NPR most every day after Pete Bergeron's radio program on KRVS.) that is terrific. I also bought another CD by the late Gordon Tanner, the son of Gid Tanner (One of the original Skillet Lickers). Really rare stuff!

Anyway, I gave the Folkways website above.

Good luck.

Jack Bond

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!