Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: anatomy question

This plastic thingy is a plastic "leather" I have a Regal from the 90's and they are not glued in very well.

When the plastics come off it makes it harder to play, more air is needed to play it. The leather can be glued back on easily, the trick is, finding out where it came off

Jim

Re: Re: Re: anatomy question

GEEZ that's enough reason to give the box back and get a handmade one. And yes, i notice some reeds don't play. Those "leathers" are the one-way valve so air only goes in one direction so only that note plays. I can only imagine what's in the new chinese boxes (more plastic).

Re: Re: Re: anatomy question

Ya know. I'm still a novice player with just a few tunes under my belt, Back Door, J'ai Passe, Allons a Lafayette, and a few others, albeit without all the fancy ornaments in between the notes. But after knowing now what's in those cheap accordions, I can only desire to buy a new or relatively new used handmade accordion. An Acadian would be great because Marc's only 15 minutes away so help is easy to get to if I need an adjustment, etc.

Thanks for the info.

Re: Re: Re: Re: anatomy question

Cheap boxes aren't so bad if they're taken care of properly and new

I love Savoy's boxes, they are by far the best in my opinion.

Jim

Re: Ventile

The plastic "leathers" are called Ventile.
You will find them on most european accordions now a days.

They are very light and react faster than the leather checks, but they are not as good in humid climates because they do not "wick" the water away from the reeds like the "real" leathers and your reeds can end up "rusting". (this is bad)

But in California, Arizon and New Mexico, they work great.

You can glue them back in with a little "Crazy Glue".
Be very sure not to get the glue anywhere but on the very end of the Ventile or you will be sorry. :(

(Too much glue will also "attack" the plasic and make it curl so it does not seal correctly. This is worse then not having it on at all.)

Keeping your leathers in good condition will help to extend the life of your reeds and also make your accordion respond better.

DP

Well said Dana

Experimentation with such things must be done with very calm hands and sound mind. It's good you stressed that the very tippy bottom should have glue. I once screwed up a reed when glue leaked onto the reed, opposite. Luckily it wasn't much so I cleaned it out with fishing line.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!