Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Tuning!!!.

That's it. Not much to explain.

Re: Re: Re: Tuning!!!.

Dry or slightly wet sounds good for Cajun in my ears.

I want to get a hohner tuned only 5 cents. The thing is so wet, it's drenched.

Anyone know how much that kind of job would run from a builder? Can anyone email me with their preference of builder by pricing?

I don't know how many builders are still willing to do that job, I only know that Junior advertises that kinda work. Don't know if Larry would any longer. I know Marc won't

Jim

Re: Re: Re: Tuning!!!.

Joe wrote: "That's it. Not much to explain."

Not exactly. That's one version of tuning that goes beyond just flatted thirds, so it's going to please some ears and offend others.

I'm not doubting its authenticity. I just don't think that it goes without saying it's not the "basic" tuning. It's one answer among many.

It also didn't handle how to tune the two mid-range reedbanks in relation to each other, i.e. how dry is dry.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuning!!!.

I'm also wondering how many of you out there have Cajun boxes where the indicated notes are sharp 15 cents, and if so, which makers tune this way?
Thanks,
Andy

Sharp tuning

My John Doucet box is tuned 15 cents sharp on 4 and 8 pull. The one I made is also that way. I'm pretty sure Jude tunes his the same. I belive Martins are also. Acadian I think is not. Maybe Dana will chime in here he has some tuning experience.

Re: Sharp tuning

Thanks.

Re: Re: Sharp tuning

the most popular tuning for cajun accordions is for instance, on a C accordion. E's and B's 15 cents flat and all F's 15 cents sharp. Acadians are tuned this way.

My 2 cents for Bruce

Tuning is a touchy subject.
Most "Cajun tuning" I have seen is mainly the E's and B's like Joe says. Marc is one of the few folks that also tunes the F's from what I have seen.

Are ya happy, Bruce? :)

DP

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!