Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Thumb Thing

Hey Alexander,
Oh yeah the thumb thing, something we all wrestle with at the start. When I start playing I had that same problem. I wanted to stick that thumb behind the board, I thought I would never reach them top keys. Well the good folks on this board said, put that thumb on the side. So I did, it took awhile to train that hand. But in time you be surprise how all of a sudden those fingers reached all the buttons. It just a matter of patience and training that hand. It will take time, but you will get there. Pivot your hand slighty when trying to reach the top or bottom buttons, it does not take much. Your going to work muscles you have not work before in your hand, so it may be sore for awhile.
Have fun learning.
Mark from Arkansas

Re: Re: Thumb Thing

Thanks Mark. It is heartfelt to hear encouragement from someone who feels my pain. I will keep plugging with thumb on the side. Hopefully it will click someday.
Alexander, South Padre Island

Re: Re: Re: Thumb Thing

I find it's helpful to tilt the top of the accordion outward so that the alignment of one's right arm from elbow all the way through the wrist is a straight line. Guitar players develop callouses on their fingertips - most accordion players I know have a big one on the left side of their right thumb.

I think developing a comfortable and proper technique when learning will really help one progress as a player.

Keep plugging, and bon chance.

Re: Re: Re: Thumb Thing

if it helps, go to www.stupid.com (real website). They have band-aids that look like strips of bacon. Protect your thumb and start a conversation. Or end one. Not sure which.

Don't know why, but I've never had any pain.

I have always been surprised hearing people talk about thumb pain and getting callouses on the thumb. I have never experienced any of that, but I can't say why.

One thing that was an issue on my very first accordion, an HA-114B, was the plastic thumbstrap was uncomfortable. The problem was that the edge of the plastic was rather sharp, and cut into the skin a bit. But I soon replaced it with a softer leather strap, and that was the end of that problem.

Are people experiencing pain because the thumb strap is too tight? I hate an excessively loose strap, but I don't crank it down either. I find that I do like to use a rubber band, but again, it is adjusted to be comfortably snug but not overly tight.

-David

Re: Don't know why, but I've never had any pain.

Me too...don't ever have thumb pain or numbness...or
callouses. Not sure what I'm doing different. I play most
days for an hour or more and sometimes on the weekend for
a few hours at a time.

Mark

Re: Thumb Thing

Alex,
The right position should help you (i.e. 45%, etc.).
By the way, you never have use the #1 top button. This is a redondant note that in the past would be used as a frame of reference to tune the accordion. #2 button is much easier to reach.

first button

Oh!
I've seen Steve Riley and Dexter Ardoin use the 1st button... let's say 99 % of us never use it!

Nicole

Re: first button

i use it
but i had it changed on my bflat accordion
to a 'g' note
[key of c equivalent would be 'a'. so you can
do pull octaves with the other a..]

wle.

Re: Re: first button

I use the first button only to end a song, once in a while, to make a fat pull chord ending.

I've seen Wilson Savoy use that button in tons of songs with the melody, I don't know how he does it. I should look into using it more often

Jim

Re: Re: Re: first button

the thing about using it for a big pull ending is,
you have the bass button for that..

and the bass chord button.

i guess having yet one more source for a low 'g'
adds a little but i would rather have a low 'a'
there.

wle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!