Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: here's the links, sorry forgot...

Interesting. The first one sounds like a cheaper accordion, but is lower pitched.

The second one seems higher pitched, but has another depth to it also.

Re: Re: here's the links, sorry forgot...

Ok, now that I've looked at the answer....

Seems like the first one sounded "reedier" to me, even though it was deeper. There seemed to be a background buzz I didn't like.

The second one, though higher pitched, still seemed to have a solidity to it.

Now, I wouldn't mind a lower pitched solid sound. What do I have to do, but bincis on alternating banks?

keep in mind

I recorded these both with a simple microphone into my computer. Not very good recordings.

The Martin has a fisty punch, the Acadian reminds me of sharp knives. Maybe a bad analogy?

The tuning technique is especially what makes the sound no matter what reeds are in an accordion or so I've found.

The Martin originally had Bincis and had a very similar sound to the Salpas but I find that the Martin sounds better with Salpas to me.

It's wonderful to have a variety of sounds with accordions.

I like #1

I like #1 better, but it's hard to say why exactly. As others have said, maybe it's more dynamic or cuts through better. #2 sounded like there was less dynamic range, and/or thinner.

Kick ass playin' on both!

-David

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!