Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Shoulder Strap

It's most common to wear it on your right sholder with the accordion angling away from you.

But I say, do what works for you.

Re: Re: Shoulder Strap

Fancy as that strap is and it looks like he still has a towel taped to the shoulder.

Personally, that's how I wear mine, although not tilted quite so much and not so low. I also find it much easier to play standing up.

In the end I agree, whatever works for you is the most important.

Re: Re: Re: Shoulder Strap

I wear mine over the right shoulder only; it does not go over my head with one side over the shoulder and one side under the opposite arm. I wear it higher than a lot of people probably. I find that I have more control up higher and can squeeze harder when my arms arm bent than when my arms are extended more straight in a downward angle. (you ought to experiment with that, you arms are at basically right angles when you play sitting, also your wrists should not have to be too bent in order to play--that is a recipe for corpal tunnel(sp?)I think they should be about the same when playing standing with a strap. You will find you have more control like this. It might not "look as cool" though!)I have seen every combination of height and shoulder strap routing. Tim Broussard in our band who normally plays bass is an excellent accordionist also. When he plays my accordion he puts the strap on over his right arm and head. (the strap goes on the left side of his neck and under his arm on the right side)

Bottom line...there's no one right way. Experiment and find what works best for your body build and for your style.

Re: Shoulder Strap

Thanks to all that gave some good tips on using the shoulder strap.
My main problem was to anchor the right side of the accordion so that
I was not pulling my thumb off my hand. I have a better understanding now.
..... Ed

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!