Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Ordered my Acadian today!!!!!!!!!

Craig,

I forgot to mention that Marc Savoy has asked his boxes fabricators to "ADD" decorative strips to each of the end panels outer sides ,thus "MASKING" the offending and unsighly butt joints, unfortunately, Mr. Savoy couldn't ask his parts purveyors to overuse the decorative strips ( as it is the case, now)elsewhere, so the "Ruse" is somehow redundand, and so the visually offensive end grain,show elsewhere .

Nice try,but no cigars, Marc.

Claude.

Re: Ordered my Acadian today!!!!!!!!!

Marc also stated that cypress is not good for boxes.
I love my cypress box. I may even make a violin from cypress just to check it out. I have to finish my current violin first though. my customer is getting antsy. Hopefully those with mitred cornerd boxes spend more time playing them than looking at them.

Re: Re: Ordered my Acadian today!!!!!!!!!

Craig,

No need to be facecious here, after all you're a musical instrument maker,at least that's what your'e trumpetting here , so consequently I would have thought that you'll be the last one to oppose me on this very important topic.
Either you do not "KNOW" how to built a violin or a guitar as a luthier would do, that is adhering to centuty old fabricating thechniques, the same as using mittered corners in a wooden accordeon, keeping in mind that these 3 endeavours, "SHOULD" in "ALL" cases use craftsmanship techniques, gleaned trough "TRADITION" and arduous and demanding apprenticeship programs , or your'e the ever argumentator.
Come on, a guy with a bona-fide shop,and a luthier to boot( that is with the proper credentials) should know the differences , no brainer here.
I don't even wnant to think that as a craftsman, you've accepted mediocrity! .

Claude.

Knock, Knock, Knock!

Cypress and live oak were said to be no good for accordion building. Any thoughts on live oak for an accordion?

Oak is heavy and dense. It tends to check as well. It has a higher level of silicates which dull tools more quickly. It does take a nice finish. I haven't heard of any favorable acoustical characteristics for it though. Now black locust is something to think about. C.F. Martin did some interesting research on locust as an alternative to endangered rainforest products. It lacks beauty but has favorable weight/strength ratio and acoustically similar to mahogany. I have some in my shop waiting for me to make a guitar, someday. My real job is keeping me busy. **** those terrorists! hopefully some day soon we will have the OK to donate our product to the Katrina Relief effort for the detection of food/water borne pathogens as well as chemical toxins. The Gov't. won't take donations so a private group is clearing the way.
Stay safe,
Craig

Jason;

For Claude's benefit, I am invoking the famous Canadian 'notwithstanding clause'...

Notwithstanding the comments about Marc's recent work mentioned by other Braves below; I have a 1998 Acadian in 'C' that is a monster box. Having played a recent example of Marc's from late a 2005 production, I found little difference between them, other than the newer box is louder, required less bellows movement and seemed to have better button reponse with less pressure on the buttons.

Bon chance mes amis!

Peace,
Griff

Love them Acadians

Mittered, shmittered.

I love my Acadians. I've tried lots of accordions, but they are my favorite by far. I've played on at least 20 different Acadians and I loved them all.

I really like Falcons and Point Noire too, but alas, can't have em all

BON CAJUN TOUJOURS!!!

read BON CAJUN TOUJOURS, that pretty much sums it up. Sweetest little squeezebox ever put together!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!