Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: check or carry-on?

I would never consider checking an accordion.
I have an ATA approved Anvil case, but I never use it on airplanes.

Between the heat, cold, shock, rain and vibration, it's a very poor environment for an accordion.

I have two soft cases that fit in over head bins.
I have often traveled with the two accordions without trouble.

Others in the band with guitars were hastled multiple times, regardless of having a copy of the AMF letter in hand. It was not pretty.

DP

Re: Re: check or carry-on?

like i said, that letter doesn;t mean anything

you are lucky they didn;t make you check it, when
you had a soft case.

wle.

Re: Re: Re: check or carry-on?

Yes, truely so.
But I made sure that the soft case would fit in the overhead bin before I bought it.

Re: check or carry-on?

Hey Jean,
Take it with you on the plane if you can. I had an experience with an airline coming back from Augusta a few years ago. I was on my last leg of the trip in Cincinnati, Ohio. When I got ready to board the plane, the lady at the door told me I will have to check in one of my accordion as baggage. I had 2 of them, one in hardcase and another in a softbag that I purchased from Jr Martin store. It was the softbag one she wanted me to check in. So I gently protested and ask for a supervisor. The plane we were boarding was a smaller plane, thus smaller overhead bins. While we were waiting, she took another look at my softcase, and it was the kind that had side pockets on it. Well I had a couple of books in them for reading on the flight. She said if you take the books out is should fit. So I glady took them out and got my ass on the plane quickly. The case fit easily with no problem. So plane size is a thing to check. Make sure you know the measurements they allow carrying on items.
Later
Mark

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!