Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Squeezer Musical Poll - Creole, Cajun, Zydeco & Show Band

Nonc;

Living far from the 'source'it is hard to answer based upon so little personal experience. But here goes anyway...

1.Who is your favorite Traditional Creole Band?
Goldman Thibodeau and Mr. Carrier... oh what a feeling!

2.Who is your favorite Traditional Cajun Band?
BIG FAT TIE!! Pine Leaf Boys and Jude Moreau...both offer unexpected musical phrasing that results in shivers from the inside out.

3.Who is your favorite Zydeco Band (old school and/or neuvo Zydeco)? Not much exposure here, though I like everything I have heard

Favotite French Show Band?
Steve Riley and the Mamou Playboys--they perform the gamut, traditional cajun, modern dancehall cajun, rockin' french, zydeco, rock, and when they do the old Louis Prima and the Louisiana Aces stuff on stage it can't be beat!!

Now, let us in on why all the questions! You never seem to ask something unless you are up to something else! LOL

Peace,
Griff

Ok I'll give it a shot

Creole: Bois Sec Ardoin on Accordion with Ed Poullard or Cedric Watson on Fiddle, and either Dejalma Garnier or JB Adams on Guitar. (Ed also plays amazing accordion). I think I saw Bois Sec, Cedric and JB play together at Festival International one year.

Traditional Cajun
Ray Abshire with Kevin Wimmer and Courtney Granger on Fiddle and Andre Michot on guitar.
(I also have been enjoying Cory McCauley and the Evangeline Aces)

Traditional Zydeco
Curley Taylor or Cory "lil pop" Ledet although they are both really versatile player. (Also Mark St.Mary for old Clifton style playing)

Neovo Zydeco
J Paul and Zydeco Nubreedz or Chris Ardoin and NU-step

Show Band
Lost Bayou Ramblers or Pine Leaf Boys

Jason Frey

1. Creole: Creole Cowboys////

2. Traditional Cajun: Ray Abshire & Friends

3. Zydeco: Buckwheat Zydeco

4. Show Band: Lost Bayou Ramblers

Dead or alive?

BEAU JOCQUE A true band man. He was the first to share the limelight on stage and in the studioo. He understood what it took to make 2=chord hell exciting and modulated as it hadn't been done before. I love his single row stuff. I wish he had stuck with it. Gone too soon.

ZYDECO FORCE. Beau Jocque's legacy

WAYNE TOUPS. You can be a white squeezebox player singing in French and not be laughed at. Thanks Wayne.

Never seen but heard traditional/neo traditional

PAUL DAIGLE
JUDE MOREAU

Would have loved to see Iry and Nathan. Oh well...

Thx, everyone... Great feedback .... Isleton will rock this year !

There is good news on the left side (California ..you lucky dogs).

I have the task of putting Isleton back together with a 2006 line up.... (sometimes dreams do come true). It'll be a ton of work in the months ahead for this Nonc (and Edward Poullard as well) regarding logistics ... regardless, it is good for all of French music.

For those who indicated the following:

Ed Poullard - he is my General and he will always be at Isleton as long as there is an event touched by Nonc... as Mark St. Mary says "Case Closed Chere "

Keith Frank - the email has been sent to Keith

Preston Frank and the Frank Family Band - I am hopefull... Spoke with Preston a few weeks back but he had no clue about Isleton cause I had no clue it was gonna happen .. he would be a show stopper for sure.

Goldman Thibideaux - There was no mention of Goldman... however this would have been my pick of the traditional Creole cast members...I would not be complete on the Creole side of matters , if I did not have Goldman Thibideaux in the showcase. Among the finest humans I have ever encountered and a fun old time Creole squeezer that is fast becoming a rare icon within the aging segment of the culture.

Cory Ledet - for years I have admired Cory, truly a super star long over due.... he is a great personality and a fine young man.

So as the story goes:
The dream team concept was a thrill of victory feeling, all said and done. So what next?
I have waited three years to bundle a Creole Cavalcade of Stars (tm) as part of a vision. Ed and I have discussed it and we have much yet to brainstorm. When all is said and done, it should be a freight train loaded with sound (Creole, Cajun and that Zydeco thing). We will see how this thing unfolds and rolls out. I will keep everyone posted as we go.

Thanks again for the feedback, keep it coming.

Nonc D

Re: Thx, everyone... Great feedback .... Isleton will rock this year !

I'd love to see Goldman. Someone did mention him, by the way.

And I know for a fact he'd be thoroughly touched and excited to be asked to come out.

Re: Re: Thx, everyone... Great feedback .... Isleton will rock this year !

Yep, sure as the world ... Griff had mentioned Goldman.

I stay in touch with Goldman and his wife Theresa via phone regulary. They are both a treasure of humanity in my estimation. I had decided (last summer)that if somehow Isleton come back together again for what we know Isleton to be, Goldman would be in the show whether he knew it or not.

Something few may know... they have family ties with Ida Guillry (Queen Ida)... daughter, son or neice married one of Ida's kin etc. anyhow, it would be dandy to get them gathered up over here and watch the fun roll out... but Goldman for sure (Ed and I already discussed him). Bon Ton

Re: Re: Re: Thx, everyone... Great feedback .... Isleton will rock this year !

He does a version of Amedie Two-Step on his latest cd that is just DRIVING. Its not just accordion, its some sort of intertwined syncopation thing going on between the instruments. There's rhythms within rhythms. Wish I could figure out how he's doing it.

Re: Thx, everyone... Great feedback .... Isleton will rock this year !

Nonc,

Just a gentle nudge, re-read my post. I mentioned Mr. Goldman, althoufgh I misspelled his last name.

Peace,
Griff

Re: Re: Thx, everyone... Great feedback .... Isleton will rock this year !

Late Feedback

Traditional Cajun - Jason Frey on accordion with whoever he plays with.

Zydeco - Jeffrey Broussard and Zydeco Force

Creole - Ed Poullared accordion and Cyderic Watson
on Fiddle

Re: Re: Re: Thx, John

John... it is never too late ... thanks.

I agree... Jason is, well just about one of the best real deal musicians going. Jason was one of my Cajun Dream Team must have members 2 years ago... as was Edward, oh what a band of pros that was, I can tell you.

When Jason is on, he is among the funniest guys you'll ever find... his humor is among the best audience grabbers you can hope for when it comes to icebreakers and snagging a crowd, pulling em in, shaking em down and winding em up...besides being a fine fine musician. As for Edward, well there is not an instrument he can not play in this genre, except perhaps pan flute (hell he may wear goat leggins and play a dang pan flute for all I know) Ha. On the Dream Team thing that was, Edward was not only team lead , but he was the primary on drums (he played drums in the Poullard family band as a youngster), also fiddle accordion and guitar... everyone had a rotation on various instruments as part of the dream team band, so as to show the incredible rounded tallent each member posessed. Nothing like it to my knowledge before or after, perhaps there was and I just did not know it... but it was a major happening though, I can tell you brother, hard to top that scene... but we will try.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!